2-channel ( or more) amps and pres

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mgmadian, Oct 21, 2005.

1. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm a fan of having a second channel built into a head so that I can quickly switch between fingerstyle and slap-style tones, and very much enjoy my Epifani UL-502 for this feature (among its other qualities/virtues). Looks like Eden just came out with a 2-channel head: http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/2005/WT-1205.html

I'm glad to more mfrs building this feature into at least one amp/pre in their lineup, which prompted me to compile a list of 2- or more channel amps / preamps:

* Epifani UL-502 / UL-902 / Quest
    * Musicman Audiophile HD-500
    * Mesa Boogie Basis M-2000
    * Walter Woods
    * Markbass LMK
    * Eden WT1205
    * Ampeg B500DR
    * Ampeg PB-800
    * Aguilar AG-500... 2nd channel mainly for distortion
    * Ampeg SVPBSP... 2nd channel mainly for distortion?
    * Read Purity... Jack Read mentioned in a phone conversation that he built a 2-channel version as a custom order a while back
    * Custom Audio Electronics... 3 channels
    * Pearce BC-1

And some MIDI-controlled heads/pres:
    * Yamaha BT500
    * Ashdown Superfly
    * ADA MB-1
    * ART Nightbass
    * Mesa Boogie Triaxis... can be modded for bass
    * Bass POD Pro

There are probably others I've overlooked... any more come to mind?
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Now, hear me out on this before you judge by the name, but the Peavey BAM 210 is the ultimate multi-channel amp.

First of all, you get sixteen user presets (and sixteen "stock presets) for different amp/eq/effects settings. Then, on each of those, you get a "secondary effect" setting (more distortion, more whatever). Then, on that of that you get a "boost" setting for each preset, so you can raise the overall level or have different eq settings.

All controlled by the included foot controller. :smug:
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

SansAmp PSA-1
    SWR Mo'Bass
    Ampeg B-1 / B-1R
    Genz Benz GBE-1200
  4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The Hughes & Kettner Fortress bass preamp has both tube and solid state gain stages, and you can use one, the other, or a blend of both. In addition, it has a footswitchable "second preamp" loop, which allows you to route your signal through an entirely different preamp. This is an older design, but I recently picked up a Fortress and I am very impressed (if not somewhat daunted by the signal routing capabilities).

5. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    Markbass LMK
  6. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    In the all-tube head category, you have the Trace Elliot V4/V6/V8 and their VA series, the Mesa Boogie Bass 400/400+, and Peavey Classic 400.

7. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Alembic F-2B, not switchable but two channels and very nice IMO.
  8. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The 2nd preamp function sounds cool, assuming it allows you to footswitch between the onboard pres and something like a Kern, etc as an outboard pre.
  9. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Not sure about the Peavey, but I myself don't think of the Trace and Boogie as truly having 2 channels... I guess I'm thinking more along the lines of 2 independent channels where each has its own (i) input gain and (ii) EQ shaping.... maybe an overly-limiting definition.

The 2nd-generation Trace V4 and V8 (for those bastages lucky enough to have one... not naming names, of course :ninja: ) have footswitchable compressor and OD, but AFAIK, the input gain is the same for both channels, as is the EQ (tho I suppose one could say the OD is a big increase in the input gain)... the Boogie has two differently-voiced inputs, but they both go thru the same EQ sections.

All awesome amps... I can see where they're all 2-channel enough for lots of folks. I actually have a Trace V6 (single-channel) and Boogie 400+ myself and love 'em both, very different animals from the Epi 502.
  10. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Wow... I've always been under the impression that this was a stereo preamp only, meaning separate outputs for each input ... which would pose a problem if you're wanting to combine them into a power amp driving a single (set of ) cabinet(s).

But.. just checked at the Alembic site, and I wasn't aware that it also has a Mono output that which blends the 2 input channels together into a single output. That's way cool... Stick an AB-Y box in front of the preamp, and you can easily rig up channel 1 for slap, channel 2 for fingerstyle, and combine the 2 together for another sound altogether (at least in theory... not sure if the actual implementation details, like the 6dB pad on input B for example, may foil the plan somewhat in practice) . Thanks for the heads-up.
  11. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yes. It has very heavy distortion/fuzz. Can't get any clear tones from the overdrive channel, but you can blend the channels.
  12. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Here's some more to consider:

1. Ampeg SVT5 Pro (one clean, one overdrive)
    2. Peavey Max preamp (one solid state & one tube channel, combinable)
    3. Yorkville XS800H (one solid state, one tube drive)
    4. Fender TBP-1 (clean plus tube OD)

Yes, the Classic 400 is switchable (one clean and one OD). It even uses the same three-button footswitch as the Max preamp.
  13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The EQ is shared, but Gain 1 and Gain 2 have their own tube and their own gain stages. You switch between the two of them, as opposed to adding one to the other.

But I do see your point about this not really being a "2-channel" configuration.

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Yes, it does allow that, and a Kern would be an interesting "second preamp."

15. korus79

Nov 9, 2005
    Hello all,

Thanks for this thread, exactly what I was looking for.
    My use of such an amp would be to switch easily between one fretted and one fretless bass, each one having its own EQ and Gain, without using a tool like Sansamp, that would change the sound a bit.

So does anyone have compared some of those amps ?
    I am currently using an Eden Amp (WT300), and am fully satisfied by this sound. At first glance, I would accept to change for another Eden, but unfortunately, the WT1205 is a bit too expensive for me.

Would the Markbass LMK be a good choice ?
    Note that in France, not all those gear are available, and especially difficult to try...
  16. greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Roland V-Bass.

Carvin R series have footswitchable EQ which at least can help.
  17. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Fender 400PS!
    But most people are afraid of them.
  18. Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    AMP bh 250 (not 260) has 2 channels. no para EQ though.
  19. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

This reminded me of my own Ampeg SVT III Pro which also has a footswitchable separate graphic EQ + Volume. It's almost like having two channels. Another advantage is they have good tone and they're not that expensive ($450-$650 used).