Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 choices ---->

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bardolph, Nov 29, 2003.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I have my GK RB400 2x10 combo now and I'm going to be pairing it with a second cabinet. The two I'm trying to decide between are the GK 210 SBX and the 115 SBX. I know the 15 will give me more lows and the 10s will retain the sound of my combo, but will one setup give me more volume than the other? What are your thoughts?

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Loudness would depend on the relative efficiencies of the two cabinets. Two 10s have about the same cone area as one 15 so that's a toss-up.

I've found that my pairing of a 2x10 with a 1x15 (non-GK) sounds much, much better than the cabinets individually. YMMV though, depending on the overall tone that you want.

See if your GK dealer will let you try them out at home, on a gig, etc. to be sure. If you're buying from a place like Guitar Center or Sam Ash or any other retailer with a generous return policy (15 to 30 days) you'll be able to make an informed choice.

3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    tens usually have more cut/punch than most 15's... this can be perceived as loudness. ;)

4. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Some stores might let you try out a cab with your current amp. If one store won't work with you, go to another one.

It helps to actually "hear" an extension cab with the amp rather than base your decision on opinions or sales pitches. I also would not buy a cabinet without trying it with a instrument I owned - that way you are not surprised when you can't get the tone you want.

So with the thought of testing in mind, you may want to try as many cabinets as possible.
    You might even want to try a PA sub as an extension cabinet. PA subs are typically designed to produce lows - do you need more lows?

An efficient 2x10 will usually produce louder Mids and Highs than a 15 or 18 - but a 15 or 18 will usually move more air (and produce deeper lows). Larger cabinets tend to produce lower frequencies so a 15" in a small cab may not produce lows as deep as a 15" in a larger cab.

When you play with your band, do you need more Mids & Highs (usually 10s) or do you need more lows (18)?

5. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    My old setup was a SWR 210 and 115. As mentioned earlier, this combo works well together. It is like Peanut Butter and Jelly. However, I could use the 210 by itself, but not the 115. This could be an issue for you in the future. Let me explain. For the year that I owned my SWR 210, I blew a 10" driver twice. Each time my rig was grounded. I had no backup and my 115 was worthless by itslef. For you, it might not be a bad idea to go with 2 210's. You can use them together for loud gigs. You can use the combo, alone, for smaller gigs. And if one of the cabs takes a dump on you. You will have a backup cab that is garunteed to "work" for you. After all, you have been using the 210 by itself for awhile. You must be somewhat pleased with its performance. Oterwise, why would want to upgrade to an additional cab rather than look for a completely different rig? FWIW, I think the difference between the amount of lowend between the 115 and 210 when coupled with your combo will be subtle. Good luck!

6. The 210 will give you more punch, but the 115 will give you better lows. I use a 115RBH by itself. I love the smoother midrange that it has. And a GK 115 goes up to 5k whereas most 15s roll off at 2 or 3k.

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I agree. I've got so many cabs now I can come up with practicaly any combination you could think of. I find myself going for the 1x15 and 2x10 for all but the most unusual situations. I find it to be a cleaner sound but still punchy. And I also find it to be louder than a 4x10 or a couple of 2x10's.