1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2 combos or a combo with powered cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by benchbass, Mar 19, 2013.

1. benchbass

benchbass

Mar 17, 2010
    Calgary Alberta
    Looking at the new GK mb series. Wondering if it would be better to get two of the mb115-II combo amps, or if I should just get one and then the 115 powered cab to go with. Other than the 50 dollar price difference on musicians friend, what are the pros and cons of each setup?

2. mbbassmojo

mbbassmojo

Aug 11, 2012
    NC, USA
    I too have the same question. Already own the MB112-II. Might opt for something like the BH250 and different sized speaker cab for my next amp.

Then you'll have a back up amp in case one goes down, instead of no amp and an extra powered cab.

3. I think your main benifit will be the additional Pre-amp should you ever need to use it.

Personally I think GK did this one right. Pick the combo that works for you, and add extension cabs until you have the right volume. Only take one as needed. I heard a rumor that GK might be releasing a "MB Pre" to run with the extension cabs, which would also be very interesting.

For my money I would be stacking as many of those MBR115's as I could.

4. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    Being an owner of a series 1 MB115, I'd have to say for that kind of cash, I'd look at a micro head w/a better (neo) cab. Plan B would be a mini Carvin stack (no personal knowledge) like the 15 combo w/15 extesion for $599??? To adress your question, for $50 extra I'd consider the 2 combos...one amp dies...one backup! You might need a splitter (pedal or cord) of some sort. Light and compact is great.....awesome tone is better.

5. I have the Carvin MB 15/15, and its a great amp. Probably won't match the GK MB15 with a powered ext speaker though, at least as far as volume. But the Carvin gets plenty loud.

6. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Wondering the same choice myself,,,,, I have the new GK series ll MB212 and MB210.

My favorite is the MB212 but if I get the MBP212 to run with it and my MB212 combo dies at a gig I'm screwed,,,,GK already told me my existing MB500 and MB200 heads will not work with the MBP212 should I need to do that in case of a failure of my MB212.

The heads can't be retrofitted or modded either,,,, GK is releasing MBP friendly heads in the near future.

I could just get the passive MBE210 to mate up with my MB210 and if the MB210 died at a gig I would only have to hook up my MBE210 to my MB500,,, problem solved, gig covered.

Problem is I would rather get the MBP212 to run with my MB212 but then I have no backup for that stack if the combo dies.

Tough call on what to do,,, currently for backup I'm taking both combos to the gig,,, the MB210 stays in the truck as the backup.

Yea,,, I could take the MB212 and a MBP212 and the MB210 to a gig but then I'm hauling 3 cabs around,,, that's a pain.

What to do,,,,,, geeze !!!

Cheers
    Davyo

7. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    i dont think i would personally plan to spend $1000 on a 200W combo and 200W ext cab where you are locked in.
    two 200W combos is a better decision but i think an amp + cab way more flexible and so imo the best decision for that sort of money.