Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 Combos Together: About the details

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by danqi, Dec 24, 2003.

1. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    I have read those other threads about using two combos together, but I am not sure about the details.
    I have Hughes & Kettner Bassforce 100W combo and a Behringer 30W combo.
    I guess I will be using the H&K as the master, because it is simply the better amp. The H&K has an FX Loop Out as well as a Line Out. The Behringer also has an FX Loop In and Out and seperate instrument inputs (active and passive).
    1. Which output should I use on the H&K? The FX Out or the Line Out?
    2. Which input should I use on the Behringer?
    The instrument input gives me volume control, I guess. But it also goes through the preamp. Could this be bad? How do I control the volume if I use the FX In? If I use FX In, could the H&K overpower the small Behringer?
    3. Will this whole thing be any louder than the H&K alone? The way I see it the H&K (master) preamp does the whole job for both combos.

Thanks you very much in advance for going into every detail.:)

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    So you want to use the head of the H&K, and the speaker of the Behringer yeah?

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    What possible advantage could you possibly have in adding a cheap 30 watt combo to a much better 100 watt combo? Usually when people do this, they want to use the preamp section of the smaller unit through the power section of the larger unit. "Playing through them both" isn't going to net you anything, IMO.

4. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Two combos together? Wouldn't that be a quartet?:D

5. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    I thought it might give me a little more power and control over the sound with the smaller amp adding its flavour.

6. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    If your purpose is to kill a Behringer combo, then there are way simpler solutions. For example, go up to the Empire State Building and drop the combo down. :D

Seriously, I can't figure out what coupling these amps may bring you, except the risk of damaging the Behringer.

Cheers,
    JL

7. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I know it won't be trouble if your H&K isn't sending any power to the input of the Beringer. I've done it before.

Your bass will be plugged into the instrument in on the H&K. You will take a cable and run it from the effects send of the H&K to the effects return of the Berigner. That's it.

The purpose is to run both combos at the same time, having each one's power amp section powering the speaker of that combo. The H&K's preamp is the master preamp for the rig, and the line from the effects send is only passing the signal of the bass through to the smaller combo.

Hope this helps. :)

8. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I used to do this in my bedroom, when I had my GK head and SWR WM1x15t cabinet. I would run a line from that rig to my old Crate BX30 combo. It filled out the sound a little bit. Didn't make it much louder, but gave a lot more high mid emphasis on my rig.

9. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    plug bass into h&k instrument input

run cable from h&k effects send to beringer effects return.. (doing this, you wont have seperate volume control or preamp control on the beringer for the beringers volume and tone)

OR...

run cable from h&k effects send to instrument input on beringer (this way, the volume control on the beringer will allow you to control the volume on the beringer + the preamp on the beringer will be usable)

10. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    If the H&K has a 1/4" line out (Not Ext cab.) couldn't you use that and plug that into the input of the Behringer? :confused:

11. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I looked at the owner's manuals for both amps and offer the following suggestions...

Scenario No. 1 - Plug bass into Hughes & Kettner's input. Connect an instrument cable between the H&K's effects send and the Behringer's instrument input (not the effects return).

The EQ'd signal from the H&K can be modified by the Behringer's EQ allowing you more tone control.

Scenario No. 2. - I don't know if this will work because I haven't seen the schematic for the Behringer. In the good old days, when bass amps had two inputs (one high level, one lower level like today's active and passive inputs), a simple resistor network was used to attenuate (reduce) the high level (active) signal. One could use the other input jack to daisychain amps (like guitarists do with old Marshall amps).

What you'd do is plug your instrument into one of the Behringer's input jacks. Run an instrument cable from the other input jack on the Behringer to the input jack on the H&K. If it works (and there shouldn't be any risk of amp damage) you'll have independent tone control on both amps.

So....please give both a try and let me (us) know which works/sounds better.

Have fun!!!

12. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    Wow, thanks for that rich information. Both scenarios seem to work. I would have never thought of the second one. Unfortunately I get a lot of static noise from the H&K that way. So I will go with the first one.
    Thank you very much.

13. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You're welcome and have fun!!!!

:bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

14. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    I have set the H&K up to give me a good basic rock sound with lots of mids. The Behringer is set up to produce aggressive highs, cause thats what it does best. It's only 30W, but very loud for that, and it has enough power for the highs.