1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2 Combos?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zaten, Apr 28, 2006.

1. zaten

zaten

Mar 20, 2006
    Dubai - UAE
    This may sound like a silly question, but how can I play through 2 combos at once? I'm guessing I'd have to split or duplicate my bass signal but I dunno how or what equipement I need... Thanks for your answers!

zaten

2. I think boss makes some splitter boxes that you can use either to have 2 instruments going to 1 amp or 1 instrument going to 2 amps...

3. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    the simplest solution is to connect the line out or effects send of one combo to the effects return of the other. that's what I do.

or you get yourself a cheap line mixer. but i would do that with active basses only.

4. You can buy A/B/Y boxes that do exactly what your looking to do. one instrument to two amps or the other way round. www.loooper.com sell them but Davids ill at the moment. www.pacificustompedals.com/ these guys sell them too.

Hope that helps.

5. zaten

zaten

Mar 20, 2006
    Dubai - UAE
    Thanks for the quick replies guys.

This does seem like the simplest solution indeed. But how do I connect both ends? The line out of the amp is that big XLR jack while the effect return is the small simple input jack. Thanks.

6. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    You can buy XLR to 1/4" cords and adaptors.

7. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    All suggestions are good, but if you use a A/B switch, you actually get the possibility of 3 different tones. You could set up combo A for deep, round bass, and combo B for a more mid, punchy attack. Combine both for a rich tone. You might even use a stereo chorus. I've never tried it on a bass, but on guitar, it makes it sound so much richer, almost like having 2 guitars. (I used 2 marshall 100 watt tube combos) Incredible tone for just 1 guitar. Anyway, just a suggestion.

8. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    there's the george lynch tripler, music 123 has them for $75!
    you can run 1 to each combo, and the third to a tuner, and it can boost your signal up to 20db- perfect with a passive bass and/or a long cord.

9. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    I'd go the ABY pedal route but there is yet another option. A stereo chorus pedal has 2 output jacks, you run each into a seperate amp.