2-D fighter fans! (Play street fighter before? COME ON IN!)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by PollyBass, Dec 8, 2003.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ah, here is the my childhood.

Close in on a dork, and weakling when compared to his other peer group friends. A blue titled font comes on the screen, and flashes "CAPCOM", and a smile cracks on the face of said dork.

Who here has ever played Street Fighter in the arcades?

Remember the cheesy samurai games in that "Pick one game out of a billion" arcade machine?

Well thats one of my biggest hobbies, and part of alot of people lives, even if they don't realize it. People might think that they were done away with now that we are in the 3-D game era, but this is not the case!

For you lovers of Street Fighter, The Capcom "VS" series, Samurai Shodown, and King Of Fighters, this thread is for you!

And for the people that go into an arcade, and pop a 1/4 doller in "Street Fighter 2" every once and a while, this is for you to!

Anyone got good "2-D fighting game" memories?
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Clayfighter was one of my favorites.

that and super street fighter 2, but other than that...nope, not a huge fan.
  3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    ClayFighter! With "Tiny" and that evil snowman!

And how can I forget Guilty Gear!!!

My King of Fighters 00-01 is coming to game stop the 11th.

Rumors of a "Sammy VS Capcom" game are going around, and the biggest deal will be that they will FINNALY be redrawing the capcom fighters to match the high graphic quality that the GG guys are drawn to!!!
  4. I spent more money than I care to admit on Mortal Kombat II in the arcades. And then when Killer Instinct came out I was screwed all over again.
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I sometimes play the Last Blade series on M.A.M.E., but that's it.
  6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I forgot about killer instinct!

that was my favorite...bar none.
  7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

My fave guy was Guile. I used to kick a$$ with him. I would get so made at Chun-Li and that upside sown scissor kick thingy! Honda was prolly the easiest dude to beat.

My life was eternally changed when someone directed me to a download page for MAME. XBOX, PS2, GC have nothing on MAME.

8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Games I've wasted hours of my life on:

Street Fighter II: Turbo
    Killer Instinct
    Mortal Kombat II
    Primal Rage (stupid, stupid...)
    Tuff E' Nuff (some cheesy rip off game)
    A couple of the SNK fighters
    Soul Blade (I pwned with Rock for a while)
    Virtual Fighter (32X baby)
    A few more I can't recall at the moment.

I stopped playing fighting games, however, when I came to the realization that I suck at them. Really, really bad.
  9. ooooo ooooo the VS. series are all classics! i love the snk vs capcom one! sadly though, i've invested a lot of time lately in 3-d fighters (tekken4, VF4, and soul calibur 2) and i cant see going back heheh
  10. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Yep, played most of the classics already mentioned... but never got to "master" a game (as in learning everyones moves) as in Marvel vs Capcom 2 (which was a lot of funs with friends)

also more people need to play the GUILTY GEAR series, seriously the most gorgeous 2-d animation and soundtrack ever made... totally original characters and fight system...

11. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I am a total street fighter nut. Not to mention the samurai shodown games, which I absolutely love. In fact I own the entire series (1-4) on the original neo geo system, but I am selling them on ebay right now :(

But I will get them back someday!
  12. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I managed to beat the original SF2 on the SNES on level 7 without losing a fight. Lots of times too, but only with Ryu or Ken. And I never managed to go straight through without losing a single round - the ultimate test.

Had a lot of fun with that game back in the day. IMO no other 2-D fighter holds a candle (I've tried most of them, emulated), but I suppose nostalgia's to blame for that. One of the few games that REALLY lived up to its immense hype.
  13. Samurari Shodown. 'Nuff said.

Although I think Soul Calibur 2 is my favorite fighter...ever. Never in my life of fighting games have I ever clicked in with a character like I have with Spawn on SC2.

But I can only take so much of the fighting genre...it gets a bit old quick.

My childhood was more like playing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Super Smash TV. Pure, hardcore action.
  14. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    HADDDOOOOOOKEEEEEEN!!!! Ah yeah, I was the MAY-AN with Ryu at SF2. And the 'Alpha' series came out and the combo's... bwahahaha unstoppable! SHORRRYUUUUREERPPPPAAAAAA!!!! :ninja:

But ya know what, I lament all this 3D stuff that's around nowadays. Bring back the scrolling 2D beat-'em-ups! Did anyone get into the 'Streets of Rage' series on the Sega Genesis? Mad stuff. Tobes want more.
  15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, I'm a bit lost, but how about this one...

Street Fighter: The Movie (The Video Game)!

It's a video game based on a movie that was based on a video game. The most ****ed up thing I've ever heard of. :p

Plus Sagat for some reason in that game seemed to yell for Honeycomb. "HONEYCOMB KNEE, HONEYCOMB UPPERCUT!!"

I don't know how you can make "Tiger" sound like "Honeycomb" but they did it!

HAHAHHAHAHAH, that game cracks me up, I wish I would have kept it! It was a terrible game though, one of the worst 2-D fighter games in the history of everything.

16. Im the street fighter champ. SFII, SFII turbo, Super SFII, The Alpha series, the Vs. series. I can play and win all of them. My friends don`t let me play that games because i spend all day with 1 coin hehhe.
    Mortal Kombat I & II rules.
    Killer instict? rules... yeah rules. Does anyone remember the music. I learn the "basslines" of a few them. My band have opened a gig with the Cinder`s theme...
    And the Mario Bros`s theme also... hehehe...

17. LOL, I knew there are a TON of Street Fighter games which are almost exactly the same, but ive never heard of this one!
  18. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Indeed. I got the limited edition first run when it came to SNES, and it had the music from the game "Killer Cuts" CD included.

It's actually not too bad, really.
  19. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    the guilty gear music is also pretty good.

far better than most video game OSTs.