Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 day's 2 return a Hartke and get an Ashdown

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Highpines, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Well, I have till the 20th to return a Hartke A100 ...100watts and a 15 inch alminum speaker,xlr out etc. I am very happy with this combo at 100 watts for what I do. (No external speaker jack.)
    I found a Ashdown 15-180 "Blueline combo" with 180 watts and a lot of extras including a fan (Hartke seemed to get warm) and its about the same price......(with external speaker jack and same extras as Hartke)
    I am not concerned with sounding like anyone in particular, just want good deep , loud base that I can control with some mids and maybe alittle highs!
    Will this Ashdown have the lows like the Hartke and with the added 80 watts, will I be happier not having to turn it up to 7 or so to here myself......mostly small venues or a P.A. Can't find in any stores in AZ so will have to order online so some opinions would be greatly appreciated......HELP!

2. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I would personally go with the Ashdown, but that is because I hate Hartke's alluminum speakers.

Ashdown is a great company as well from what I have heard. I'd say try the Ashdown and if you hate it, send it back and get the Hartke again if you can.

3. +1

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Yup. Ashdown is ace.

5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    If anything, the Ashdown will have MORE lows than the Hartke.

6. Silly question...but....... will the added "80 watts" be that noticeable in a practice or small bar venue??

......Thanks

7. no not really.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    You won't notice a major increase in volume with the Ashdown. You will notice that the Ashdown does sound much better though. You won't sound as sterile as you do with the Hartke.

-Mike

9. Ashdown has 80 watts more power "but wont be any louder but will sound better" ???? I don't get it??........
    I'm sorry but, all I'm looking for is someone who has information on these two combos that can help me make a decision .....both amps are about the same price....... is 80 watts louder--- but the "Hartke" sounds better--- or the 180 watts of ashdown can't be compared to 100 watts of Hartke sound. I just want to be able to "punch thru" without breaking the bank.............Hmmmmm...180 wts or tone.....180 wts or tone....etc....

10. just get the ashdown!

11. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Well you don't know the tone for the Ashdown yet do you?

You may like the Ashdown's tone as much or more. Only way to find out is to try it out. A lot of people are screaming Ashdown, whats there to lose?

12. Guess I'll get up and take the Hartke back to "***^^^" and check out the "Ashdown" Whats going on down south compared to PHX?.....

13. Well, no....don't know Ashdown tone.....More power sounds good.........?????

14. I would take the Hartke back and get a Ashdown MAG 300H head only and then save up for a 1 x 15" cab. This way you will have a better rig than Hartke and loads of volume for bigger gigs. You need 200w + to be in most bands, 300w is normal and 500w + is more common, im talking solid state watts not tube amps.

However Harke amps do normally sound loud for their ratings, but i would aim for more watts if you intend to gig it.

100w ok for home use and jamming, 180w just about enough if you run it flat out but if you ask most people here they use 300w approx in bands.

Ashdown tone is far better and warmer sounding, the Mag series although made in China they are great value for money.

I used to use the same Mag300 h head as a backup to my now sold Ampeg SVTCL so that gives you a sign of its tone quality!

15. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Have to disagree in the power related items. I used several MAG350 heads recently that simply weren't as half as loud my old Hartke 3500 was. Also used some 4x10 Ashdown cabs and they farted out easily (much more easily and way quieter than my Hartke 4.5XL). Ashdown seems to rate their amps and cabs in a very generous way. That's why some cheap brands as Hartke or Peavey have never let me down, 'cause they don't lie about power and are LOUD. Regarding tone... it's just personal taste. Good luck!

ANDRUCA

16. I say "Get the Ashdown - no contest". :smug:

On the subject of "loudness", the reason the extra 80 watts will NOT necessarily make any appreciable difference is that in order to be "twice as loud" as 100 watts, you would need 1000 watts, so don't fool yourself into thinking that 180 watts is going to be nearly twice as loud as 100 watts. IT AINT!!! ;)

That said, the Ashdown "tone" is very likely to fool your ears into thinking that you have more power there. :) :)

17. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Who knew I'd be joining this thread ;)

Now I have I dilema because I use both Hartke and Ashdown, and have used the Hartke Combo you have, I tried it in a shop with a Yamaha TRB 1006 and I was blown away I thought it was awesome. But then Ashdown, I love them every one knows this they are amazing amps for the money and every ashdown I've heard is brilliant whether it be an electric blue or an ABM stack.

I would say in my expert :D opinion that you should take the Hartke back and get the ashdown but maybe consider the Mag head like someone suggested that would be better in the long run.

Hope this helps

18. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    My personal preference would be to go for the Hartke. I am not very fond of the 'bog standard' paper cone sound.. I don't know why, it just doesnt please me. I have Hartke cabs. They are heavy and very LOUD.. I have never had a 'farting' problem with them.. and Ashdown have recieved 'dubious' quality reports in the UK.. I have fallen foul or tarring the whole range with the same brush.. I don't mean to tho'.
    Infact, if you can, lok out for one of the original Hartke 'Kickback' Combos. they are percived to be far louder than the advertised output wattage. IMHO ;o)

19. Way to go "Hartke".....I know I started this post looking at 180 watt "Ashdown" , but I bought a "Hartke 15 Kickback" 120 watts..... and am giggeling as I type.....Don't have a big stack and amps and don't know what thats like but this little thing kept me playing way past my bedtime :) ......I'm 5'7 and can't wait till I turn around and see nothing but speakers and amps......yoooowwww!!!.........Thanks for any help....Dale

20. "bassampegman"...I agree about 300 watts or more but after doing the "Sonar " studio recording thing at home for a few years and then being called back to play bass again "live" (puting it together again...small venues) These guy's including a LOUD drummer really like the Hartke and say they hve no problem hearing or feeling it, now that I'm using the 1-15 120 watt.............Can't wait for the big **#@