2 days to NBD... tell me stories about your G&L SB-1!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BrianVengeance, Nov 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ...you know, to help pass the time!

2. louloomis

louloomis

Dec 28, 2004
    Which version, please? There are 2, I believe.....the older version and the newer with the p-pickup....

3. 2014, so definitely the newer version...

4. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    They're like a bright P bass. The tone knob takes it back nicely to a Fender P sound about one quarter to halfway. All the way off is a round sound.

The SB-1 uses a lighter tone cap so it cuts less highs. It seems to work well for getting more vintage tones.

The tone knob also has a resistor in series to ground. The main benefit is you don't get that mud when the tone is rolled off completely.

Otherwise the output is almost active level in terms of how loud it is. They're bright enough to slap on.

SB-1s are just a more versatile P like bass. The body is a bit slimmer though.

The saddle lock bridge seems to make the body wood resonate well.

twinjet likes this.
  5. Bagelish

Bagelish

Jun 4, 2016
    I got a new one for Christmas back in '84. Played it till it started to fall apart on stage one night (at that point which was after about 6 years of having it, it looked like a road worn, flood victim, dragged down the road bass), great basses, if I was better at fixing my bass back then as I am now I'd still have it.
    Still considered getting one recently but I'm more into jazz basses at the moment.
    Make sure to post pictures when you get yours, let us know how you like it.

6. Membo

Membo

Oct 26, 2011
    Stuttgart, Germany
    I picked up a '85 about 15 years ago. Unfortunately, the original pickups had been replaced with active EMGs. I eventually replaced it with an older used SD Quarter Pounder. I've been playing 60s R&B the last few years and it is perfect for that type of music string with flats. It really resonates even when it is not plugged in - love it!

7. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Mine's haunted. And Slimer green, too.
    sb1 1s.jpg

8. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I got an SB-2 this year, I love it. Even with just the P pickup (like your SB-1), it just has a fantastic sound. And of course it's beautifully built.

9. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I've had an SB-2 for nine years, and it's fantastic. In 2007, I went to the Philly area guitar show hoping to find a good rosewood fretboard P-bass. I brought a 1981 Ibanez Studio guitar to trade. It was my first instrument, but I never liked it after trying a Strat, and I'd been trying to sell it for over a year.

At the show, I came upon a dealer with a beautiful new SB-2, vintage white/tort/rosewood, at an extremely good price. To my immense surprise, he offered me $350 in credit for the Ibanez, which was more than it was worth. I didn't even plug in the SB-2; I just took the incredible deal and ran out of there!

When I got home, I plugged into my rig, and after two notes just started laughing at the enormous tone. It's a total monster, and yet still has an old-school Fender-ish vibe. I added a tone control and almost never use the bridge pickup, so it usually functions like an SB-1. It's so great that it essentially kicked THREE basses out of my herd, all of which were very good in their own right. (I do miss the Fralin-loaded 2004 Fender though.)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    Clutchcargo and twinjet like this.
  10. twinjet

twinjet Powered by GE90s; fueled with coffee. Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I love to tease myself with demos of other guys playing their basses. That oughta pass a bunch of time!

SirMjac28 likes this.
  11. Love the natural body!

Thanks everyone... this is helping quite a bit. Will be working from home tomorrow to sign for the delivery. Can't wait!

Keep em coming and I'll update with some pics when I get a chance.

12. Dogmatic

Dogmatic Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2014
    Athens, AL
    My SB-1 was bought new in 1984... Still plays well. If it had a fifth string and fanned frets I'd play it more often.

13. louloomis

louloomis

Dec 28, 2004
    I played one back in the 1980s - probably around 1985. I hated it because I didn't like the neck, the strings were ancient and filthy and it was set up badly and acoustically dead-sounding (probably the strings), and I think I played it through a terrible-but-not-cheap amp. It had a black pickguard and a 3 tone sunburst I think (the kind that you see on some Univox hi-flyers). Maple neck. Yes, I have a very good memory (for important things!).

I regret this experience all the time because it soured me on these basses, but I'm sure they're excellent instruments. Mind you, this experience was in a music store - so shame on them for having a terribly set up instrument (not that that's rare)....

But, now, I'm really hankering to check out one of these. They seem to sound absolutely incredible and maybe with a better setup and new strings, etc. etc. they'd be absolutely killer. I like the smaller body size.....and BIGGER sound (I've seen many review videos)!

LL

14. She's arrived! Now just to find some time to play it...

Attached Files:

joebar, Nedmundo, Tbone76 and 2 others like this.
  15. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    She's a looker! :thumbsup:

16. Tbone76

Tbone76

Aug 24, 2013
    Oooh, Blueburst!!!
    Congrats!

17. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Very nice, congrats!

BrianVengeance likes this.
  18. So, have had a chance to put the SG-1 through some of its paces and here are some initial takeaways.
    • Bright, but not overbright, more of filling in what's been missing
    • Lots of clarity, definition and depth, substantial
    • Output is comparable to actives
    • Compared to Jazz: same expansive bottom end and more bite through the top, but carries the mids with way more authority
    • Compared to Stingray: same mid punch, but brings everything else too without losing focus
    • Neck is simply brilliant, fast and even
    • Weight is great, balance is spot on
    • Really brings the drive channel on the Super Bassman alive, to the point that I may retire some of my dirt pedals for now
    I love my Jazz for its overall playability.
    I love my Stingray for the focus it brings
    I'm probably selling the Foundation.

I know it's still in the honeymoon phase, but this one I just want to keep playing. Maybe I was a P bassist all along?

Antisyzygy and TDR1138 like this.
  19. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    SoCal
    An SB-1 is on my short list. I had a Tribute SB-2 that was modded to an SB-1 circuit plus and on/off for the bridge pickup. Played it as an SB-1 about 95% of the time. Just wonderful tone, IMO.

Antisyzygy likes this.