Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 different types of mexican fenders ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AllodoX, Apr 3, 2003.

1. ( me didn't know wether to post this in pickups or here, but i'm sure mr. moderator can move it if needed ;) )

ok, the deal..

I have a std mexican jazzbass at home which i equipped with Seymour Duncan quarterpounders.. fit like a glove..

Yesterday i tried to do the same to the std mexican jazzbass that belongs to a friend of mine, but the pickup's don't fit ( too wide ) :spit:

are there 2 different types of mexican jazzbasses, that i wasn't previously aware of ?

:confused:

2. Up to two or three years ago the MIM Jazz had the same size neck and bridge pickup so the wider bridge pickups of the American type won't drop right in.I discovered this when I tried to put EMGs in my 96MIM Jazz.The newer ones come with the wider bridge pickup like the American version.Maybe that's whats going on.

3. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I have a 1998 mim lined fretless jazz, and i put a
    set of basslines in and they fit perfect. I was not aware there were different sizes. They did make a big difference in sound. I bought the bass at a
    scratch & dent sale for $250.00 and bought the seymor duncans on sale for $100.00, and the
    bass sounds great,I think the body wood has alot to do with it, at one point i was told it was alder
    but another person said the mim were poplar. does
    anyone know how to tell the difference ? :confused: :confused:

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I used to have a 1995 MIM Jazz Bass. I switched out the pickups for some Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound pickups and they fit fine. They sounded different, but no better than, the original pickups.

5. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    Before 2001 the two pickups on the MIM jazz were the same size. So most standard pickups wouldn't fit without having to do some minor work to make the cavity bigger and change the shape of the pickguard. As of 2001 they use two different pickups, which are out of phase by the way (cancels hum when both PU's are full on) so now anythin should fit.

6. so the basic choice is either to get 2 neck-pickups or whip out a knife and cut some wood away ?

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Well, if you get 2 neck pickups, the poles wont match up in the bridge postions. Time to take some wood out of the way. :)

8. I just ran into this problem a couple of weeks ago when installing EMG-J's in my 95 MIM, but i knew it would happen. i pulled out the rasps and started.....rasping..... be careful, though. i used one that was too coarse, and on the upstroke pulled off a chip of finish. that's some thick finish there.

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    EMG actually sells a set for MIM Jazzes that both pickups are the same size.