1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2 Direct Boxes

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassicsax, Aug 27, 2007.

1. bassicsax

bassicsax

Jul 29, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    So recently I was playing a church gig in which I wasnt allowed to use an amp, I could only run direct. Well I started setting up my stuff which includes a pedalboard, nothing fancy, just a tuner, volume pedal, bass bb preamp, and a hotcake. When the monitor engineer saw that I would be using distortion, he asked if I minded using two direct boxes, one pre effects and one post effects. His reasoning was that it would cause dramatic changes in the in ear mixes and members of the group such as singers didnt really need to be able to tell if I was using distortion and that would allow him to send them just a clean bass sound that would only have one gain stage therefore he wouldnt be asked for a monitor change every time that I turned on a distortion. Being somewhat laid back and understanding I said sure. Well it turned out that not only the monitor engineer but also the foh engineer ended up using the clean di, except the foh guy was mixing the two signals evenly and this ended giving a more natural sound with the effects, more like they would sound through an amp rather then a di box(which for some reason just doesnt sound the same or imo as good). After stepping out into the house and listening I agreed with him, it sounded better.

So basically I was just wondering if anybody else uses this method when they play direct, or if anybody had any experiences with this?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It's a good system, I can understand the monitor engineer's reasoning. I guess most bassists and FOH guys like to "keep it simple", so they would just want one cable and one mixer channel for the bass. But if you have the luxury of more than one mixer channel, and a creative sound person, it's a good setup.

3. bassicsax

bassicsax

Jul 29, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    In the effort of "keeping it simple" I swapped the di on my pedalboard to a two channel di so that i dont have to rewire my rig every time I play at this church. And imo the extra hassle of plugging in one more cable is worth the much improved sound.

4. TaylorW

TaylorW

Feb 9, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I split my signal with a Morley ABY A goes to my pedalboard then out of my MXR DI and B goes into a SVP-CL tube preamp