2 dumb questions

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ineedanewbass, Dec 25, 2002.

1. Ok im sorta new to the bass(ive been playing for about 2 years today) and i was wondering about two really dumb things. im thining of ordering a set of ken smith bass strings for my 5 stringer. Theyre lights, and i was wondering will the low b(a 120 gauge) be ale to tun to a c sharp and be tight? im not too sure if its if theyre thicke they cntune tighter. Please dont make fun of me for my dumb questions. Any help would be great. Cheers
  2. Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    ::puts thread in giant slingshot and aims at Strings forum::

3. How long's your neck?

Ken Smith Strings are known to be long, but whether or not the b-string will be floppy depends on how much tension you put on it.

What kind of bass do you have? What's its scale? If its 34 inch you'll probably be experiencing some floppiness, not unmanagable but noticable. But it also depends on what kind of bass you have.

Just my $.02, I'm not the expert though.

P.S. Which was your other question?
  4. sorry guys for not reall making myself clear. I have a Rogue 5 string(runs from flames). I beleive its a 34 or 36 not too sure...maybe one of you guys can help.Anywho, thank you for the nput and comments woud be great.
  5. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    a rogue will be a 34" scale.

and you are probably going to need a big fat B string to get any kind of good low end response out of that bass. normally the way it works is that the stiffer the bass is, the smaller B string you need. rogues aren't very stiff.

if you tune the B to C#, yeah a 120 will be decent. i use a .125 on my low B of both my warwicks, and it's perfect for it. anything lower than that it starts sounding farty. the thicker the string the tighter it will be at a given frequency -or- to phrase it differently, the lower the string will sound if the tension is the same. for example, try tuning your G string to a low E.

so in conclusion - get something bigger than .120 unless you really want to tune up to C#. and start saving your pennies for something that'll have a good B string. i'd highly recommend an MTD kingston for a good entry level 5'er.