Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 EA wizzys or 1 NL210?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yamarc, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Here is an interesting question:

Since these are the same price (used), I am wondering how many of you guys prefer 2 Wizzys over 1 NL210 model?

How many would pick the NL210 (4 or 8 ohm model) ?

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'd have to go with two Wizzy's.

Tom.

3. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Will the pair go as deep as the single NL210 (with an iamp 500)? Will it be a versatile setup as well?

4. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I think so. In fact, I think that it would be perceived as going deeper. I don't think that on paper it would seem like this would be the case, but I can tell you that two Wizzy's go deeper than you would expect. To me, the main criteria would be the high end. Are you going to miss the sparkle of the tweeter or not?

Tom.

5. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I only slap for fun and maybe an occasional jamming situation. I remember the Wizzys having an interesting slap sound, not bad mind you, just different. I would probably have to try them out on a gig to be certain...

My onlt other concern would be the fact that I am currently powering the drummers small (extra) 8ohm monitor in order to stay out of the monitor mix. I could just point one of the Wizzys at him, but that might defeat the whole purpose, huh?

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Actually, on paper the NL210 and the wizzy have the same low end (45Hz). They differ in the top end (12kHz vs 14kHz). I have not tried the NL210 so I cannot directly compare the two. However, I agree with Tom that the wizzys have much more perceived bottom than you would expect. Especially considering their size.

Versatile? I have used two wizzys very successfully in both rock and country settings. Mainly small venues. Check out the DB side, they seem love the wizzy so I think you are covered for jazz.

What they might not be good for is a bright slap sound or a modern hi-fi sound.

7. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    wonder if anybody likes the unique slap sound they get with the Wizzy/iamp combo?

Also, anybody got pics of a wizzy stack?

8. BIGREDSIX

BIGREDSIX Supporting Member

Go to the Euphonic Audio forum on that "other" board and look in the "cabinets" thread. There's a pic of a Wizzy stack there. :hyper:

9. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Here you go

[​IMG]

10. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    And we know how misleading that can be. The numbers alone don't tell as much of the story as say a graph of each made under the same conditions. Here's a quickie exaggerated fake graph of two imaginary drivers with the same +/- 3dB numbers ... as one can see one has a lot more meat on its bones in the lower frequencies than the other - though they both hit - 3 dB at 45 Hz or so. And the same concept extends across any drivers'/cabs' entire response.

[​IMG]

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I gotta tell you guys, that is a KILLER rig (esp with the 800)!!! :D

[Edit: Okay, I may have actually already said that, but it does bear repeating, now!]

Tom.

12. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I'd just love to see some good Neo-motored wizzy designs! They'd carry themselves into the van after filling the venue!

13. Keskin

Keskin

Feb 20, 2006
    The cone area of 2x12s should be similar to the one of 3x10s.
    So 2x12 should push more air then the 2x10 option, at least thats what my calculator says and may vary with different kinds of speakers.