Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 eBay+Tobias recommendations?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chazzz, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Chazzz

Chazzz

Jan 27, 2006
    Spokane, WA
    The 'Bay has two Tobias 6ers right now that seem rather interesting to me, and I was wondering if I could get some feedback on what might be reasonable values/sale prices for these machines.

The first one here is a 1991 Tobias Basic (Serial number might be #1662 like the bass mentioned in this 2005.07 thread. But there wasn't much more discussion about it other than "pre- or post-Gibson".

The second one here is a 1994 Tobias Signature (Serial #2498), and much more striking in appearance. But, it's post-Gibson (supposedly a Nashville build) which sets off alarms in many people (I haven't finished researching the post-Gibson+Tobias phenomena yet).

Anyway, as I said, both seem like an interesting deal. I have always like the Tobias body, and I mostly liked the '91 6-fretless I had years ago. Obviously I don't want to try to bid on a piece of crap, and I also don't want to pay too much because I was ignorant. Any help or constructive input is greatly appeciated. (i.e. please don't just pop in and say, "All Tobias suck. Buy a MM or a Lakland." That doesn't help me much.)

Thanks

2. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Obviously, the Burbank is going to have better resale value.

I have a Nashville Classic 5 and the build quality is NOTHING to gripe about. They may be hit or miss and need to be looked at individually.

I'd be real careful with that Burbank auction. I'm not sure that the 18V electronics are original to that instrument and the pickups kind of look like the Nashville era models although it's difficult to tell in the photos. I'd certainly ask before bidding.