Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 fairly easy solo pieces to do for a college audition?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by UtBDan, Dec 18, 2005.

1. UtBDan

UtBDan Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Connecticut
    I have an audition with UConn coming up and um...

time to start preparing. lol. Why 2 pieces are doable for a 2 year bassist who would consider himself intermediate (decent fingerstyle speed, large theory knowledge {even if I don't always apply it}, fine slap speed and accuracy but no fancy thumping or anything)?

I wish I was good at tapping cause I wanted to do moonlight sonata. I can do all of the "Country thing" part of the Stu Hamm solo but the Moonlight Sonata part relies too much on the pinky to be a good tapper and it doesn't work for me.

2. For auditions you should stick to standards.

Do stuff like "Straight, No Chaser," "There Is No Greater Love," "Nardis," so on...

That will show off your ability to read sheets, general theory knowledge, and allow you to do whatever you'd like over the form and so on, especially in an academic environment.

3. UtBDan

UtBDan Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Connecticut
    I'm not that into jazz. Care to intrigue me a bit more?

One of the things I was considering doing was "The Chicken" By Jaco Pastorius, and improvising past the first few times.

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    lets' see, "audition". They don't make you audition unless you're a music major or are looking to perform in one of the ensembles. And a quick look at the UConn site lists MARCHING, CLASSICAL and JAZZ ensembles (with a number of ensembles that draw members from these larger ensembles). I don't think you're going to get into one of the classical ensembels playing BG, so you're being "not that into jazz" is probably NOT going to intrigue the auditions committee.

They don't care about **** you worked out. All they care about is "Is this somebody that is going to make my ensemble sound good without putting a lot of work into them?" So, as MAKE US ALIEN said - reading, improvising bass lines in a lot of genres (given a chord chart, play LATIN, walking bass, FUNK, "open" feel etc.). You can play the **** out of THE CHICKEN, but if you can't walk 4 over a medium blues with any competency, NEXT!

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    And, for Mithra's sake, they HAVE THE AUDITION REQUIREMENTS LISTED AT THE DAMN WEBSITE.

Are you "special"?

6. UtBDan

UtBDan Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Connecticut
    and the audition requirements are!!!!!!

"2 solo pieces in contrasting styles"

hey so thanks for not doing anything besides be a jerk, Ed! congrats.

I'm trying out for a music major, not classic jazz or marching ensembles.

7. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    As far as auditions go, you DO need to show how you can fit it. You ARE applying for a job.

Frankly, as cool as "Moonlight Sonata" might be, I'd steer away from the classical things if for no other good reason that it just might piss off one of the auditioners (there may be several) who really don't care for electric instruments.

You also need to be confident you are showing them who and what you are, so don't shy away from the Jaco things... IF you can really play them well. Playing something poorly is not impressive. You don't get points for trying something difficult; you risk showing that you don't know what 'good' is.

Ed's not a jerk, he knows what he's talking about. Read his post again, there is some wisdom there.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Read and obey.

A. Required Repertoire:

1. Prepare two contrasting pieces from the jazz idiom. These should be memorized and must include performance of the melody as well as improvisation. Prerecorded accompaniment may be used (Aebersold, Ricker, Dobbins, etc.) if ‘live’ accompaniment is unavailable. The candidate is responsible for providing the audio CD or cassette tape.

Recommended selections:

- Billie's Bounce, Au Privave, Oleo, Solar, All The Things You Are, Body and Soul, Blue Bossa, Beautiful Love, Out of Nowhere.

2. Prepare two contrasting selections from the classical repertoire.

B. Sight Reading

C. Special Requirements:

Drummers must demonstrate:

-various styles at various tempos (swing, shuffle, Afro-Cuban, funk, bossa, samba, etc.).
    -proficiency with brushes as well as sticks.
    -facility on mallet instruments (vibes and marimbas will be provided).

Bass players must demonstrate the ability to improvise appropriate bass lines on each piece.

Pianists must demonstrate ‘comping’ on all jazz pieces.

9. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    For the classical, I'd reccommend one of the many Bach cello suites. Fairly easy, very lyrical. I'm doing a complete suite (with prelude) for my senior recital this spring... on 5 string electric bass.

For the jazz... take special care of your time. Show them that your fingers work like clockwork and your time is solid. That will put you WAY above most college freshman bass majors.

A word of caution. The auditioners will know if you're doing something easy. They likely won't hold it against you, but be prepared to make up for the difficulty with style, emotion, time, and groove. This also means don't wait until the last minute to learn these things just because they're "easy". A lot more will be expected of you when you play an "easy" piece, and 90% accuracy isn't going to impress.

10. UtBDan

UtBDan Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Connecticut
    oh the first post yes entirely. And the first post did help.

The second post showed he liked to be an *******.

is that on UConn's site?

11. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Here's one - check out Autumn Leaves (about 2/3 down the page

12. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Autumn Leaves is very cool. Nice solo. I'm wondering how many people didn't know that kind of music could be played on bass.

Is that a 4 string?

13. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Thanks. Yup, 4 string.

A number of people have used that arrangement for their college admissions

14. UtBDan

UtBDan Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Connecticut
    I would really like to use that (listened to the audio and its gentle, but still impressive); but the notation doesn't seem to add up to me. It shows the right chords, but the timing is off and it shows holding of the chords where the audio is arpeggiating.

Am I missing something?

15. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999

The notes are all there, the performance is an intpretation of the notation.

16. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Some old X-mas songs can make great solo bass pieces, like "Oh Holy Night" or "Silent Night"

If you feel really daring, try "Song Of The Will 'O The Wisp" from Manuel De Falla's ballet "El Amour Brujo", incredibly hauinting and powerful piece of music.

17. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Yes.

18. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Oh, bad karma, Dan. You know that's Ed Fuqua you're dissing, right? Oh wait, you've only got 112 posts. Go easy on him, Ed.

19. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

Honestly now... Who DOESN'T know Blue Bossa up and down?

20. Ace123

Ace123

Sep 25, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Weather Report's Birdland is not too difficult to learn if you can know false harmonics. I know that my bass teacher used it in his performance audition for Berkely, and then i learned it and i've been playing about as long as you, so go for it.