1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2 Fender Repair Questions

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JehuJava, Jun 8, 2011.

1. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I have two basses that I have acquired that have repair issues and was hoping to get some input from you guys.

I have a used 2008 Fender MIA Precision Deluxe that has run out of TR nut threads. It still has too much relief and has buzzing on frets 15 on up. My tech tried the washer trick, clamping, heating and clamping, but the the neck won't take any kind of back bow. The string height between the 8 and 9 frets (holding the first and last frets) is over 2mm. We're pretty sure the neck is toast. If I take it to an Authorized Fender Repair Location, how hard is it going to be to get a new neck (I will pay for it!!)? Will it have the same 2008 silver logo on the headstock or will I get the current 2011 model? Will the SN be the same or will it be a new one?

I also have a 1997 MIA Jazz Deluxe with the Suhr PUP's and Pre. The blend knob at center detent sounds like crap (tin can like and reduced volume), but move it a hair either way and the sound returns to normal. The tech replaced the pot and the problem is still there. I'm assuming I should just replace the preamp. Are the Suhr pre's easy to find? Should I call John Suhr up and ask him about it? Any recommendations on a replacement, like the J-Retro?

Kinda bummed that my latest acquisitions are ending up being headaches.

2. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    This sounds like out-of-phase. Now, without looking at the bass, it would be hard to tell if it is a pickup wired backwards, or if something is truly miswired in the preamp. Open it up and see if the same colors of wire on the pickups are wired to the same kinds of places (red hot and black ground, for example - your colors may vary because there is no standardization). If the pickup has separate discrete wires from the ground, try switching which wire goes to hot and which wire goes to ground on only one of the pickups and see if you get tone back in the center detent position of the pan pot.

3. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    That's a good thought. My tech compared the wiring with another jazz deluxe with suhr pre and said the wiring was the same. Not having been there I don't really know what it looks like. He still has the bass so I'll call him tomorrow and see if he'll do the swap.