2 Fenders special jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fero78, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Fero78

Fero78

Jul 28, 2020
    Hej guys
    It’s my first post here.... thanks for answers.
    I ve to possibility of buying 2 fenders jazz bass special.
    One white 1985 made in Japan Fujigent plant (I think it’s written this way)
    One black 1995 made in Japan Fujigent plant (the same as the other).
    I read around the ones of the 80 are better but before makin a choice I would like to know your opinions.

2. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    I don't know the specific history of Fender Japan, other than what I've read online. However, what I would do if it were me picking between the two is buy the one that seemed to be in the best condition. They're both old enough now that probably whatever issues they were going to have are probably over. For example, I've noticed that if a neck was going to warp or twist on me, it was going to do it relatively soon in its life and not decades down the road. The two older instruments I own are set the way they are, aside from seasonal conditions. So, you probably don't have to worry a lot about that stuff.
    There might be a difference in electronics and there might not. However, I would buy the one that plays and sounds the best, and is in the best condition. I do know that I played an 86 copper-colored Jazz Special a number of years ago, before the prices increased on those, and it was a fantastic bass, even for its age. While it looked old, due to dings and dents, it felt brand new.

So, to answer your question, emotionally and due to prior experiences, I lean toward the 80's model. But I can't tell you what to do, because I can't see them.

3. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

First, Welcome to Talk Bass!

If it were me I'd buy both of them. If you can only sing one, buy the '85 unless its a basket case.

Pix?

lowdownthump likes this.
  4. Shirobon

Shirobon

Jun 16, 2020
    Belgium
    I own a 1985 one. Get the 1985 one, hands down. The pickups will be way better than the 1995 one, guaranteed.

5. Fero78

Fero78

Jul 28, 2020
    Thx for answering
    Here I submit some pics of the 1984 fender jazz bass special (black) that I found last days and the 1985 in white
    Is any difference between 84 and 85??

Attached Files:

lowdownthump likes this.
  6. Shirobon

Shirobon

Jun 16, 2020
    Belgium
    They're both from 1985 since they're A-serials. Japanese domestic market ones, they have a 41mm P-bass neck instead of the 38mm Jazz ones. No difference between both except that the black doesn't have its original knobs.

7. I am a huge fan of debating/joking/mocking/learning what is the proper pluralization ("are these 'Tacos Supreme' or 'Taco Supremes'"?) so I won't fight the urge to jump in and say...I think this should be "Fender Jazz Bass Specials"

(please take no offense if English is not OP's first language, I wonder these things aloud all day native speaker or not)

and welcome to (posting on) TalkBass

also 80's Jazz Bass Specials are great basses with awesome necks, I have never played a 90s one

8. Bleecker

Bleecker Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Etown NY. USA
    I can't decide, get both!

Bassdirty likes this.
  9. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    Every time I see a white JBS, can't help but think of Duff.
    Great basses though.

lowdownthump likes this.
  10. Fero78

Fero78

Jul 28, 2020
    Except from the neck .... there is any difference in pickups, mechanic etc. between the Japanese (A serie ) and the Japanese (E serie)??

11. Shirobon

Shirobon

Jun 16, 2020
    Belgium
    No, the only difference was the neck width at the nut. In 1987, E-serials switched to natural finished necks instead of black. Post 1987, they weren't E-serials anymore, and they switched to regular pickups with small pole pieces, and a high-mass bridge. Those ones I often read they weren't as good as the 84-87 ones.

12. Fero78

Fero78

Jul 28, 2020
    Thanks for the answers.
    Just to be clear. I own already:
    - 1 Fender Jazz Bass Special 1993 with Seymour Duncan Jazz Pickup
    - 1 Fender JBS Duff McKagan Signature
    - 1 Fender JBS deluxe Duff McLagan sign.

Can a 85 JBS add something to the collection or is still too similar to The ones here mentioned.

lowdownthump likes this.
  13. Shirobon

Shirobon

Jun 16, 2020
    Belgium
    Having both the Duff siggy and the original Jazz Bass Special, I can certify you that they really do not sound the same. If you really are a big fan of Duff (which I assume you are), and you really want that Duff sound, you can only count on the original one.
    It has its own unique sound that the new ones can't produce, and I think it's down to the pickups and the basswood body.

lowdownthump likes this.
  14. Fero78

Fero78

Jul 28, 2020
    That is what I m looking for....
    all the 3 basses I ve can get close to Duff sound (I mean the live sound for example tockyo 92 etc) but still something is missing ... if you confirm that with this I can get his Tone I m gonna get it.... the black is amazing

15. Shirobon

Shirobon

Jun 16, 2020
    Belgium
    If you want his sound, scoop your EQ on your amp, slightly less bass, much less lo-mid, much less hi-mid, a lot of treble. Set TBX tone pot to max, select both pickups, use chorus and a bit of flanger effects. That's it. Exactly the same sound, but only with the original jazz bass special.

16. Plectrum72

Plectrum72 Supporting Member

If you want his sound, don't forget bass + amp is the total instrument you'll be playing. Also, just chorus (Ibanez CS9 or Yamaha SPX-90), no flanger and the chorus is only on some songs, not all. In the end, your playing will still sound like you, but the tonal qualities will be close. All other things being equal, I think the white JBS is better because it has the original knobs. Those knobs are getting harder to find.

lowdownthump likes this.
  17. Krizz

Krizz

May 26, 2018
    Columbus, OH
    71 pages of info on Jazz Bass Specials in this thread

Fender Jazz Bass Special - Circa 1984-87

I can't tell on my iPad, but if the F caps are on the top of the white versions knobs, that'd be my choice too, those caps are ridiculously expensive if you can even find them

Plectrum72 likes this.
  18. Fero78

Fero78

Jul 28, 2020
    I’m going on for the white one .... even because I ve already 2 blacks.... but if any of you can look the pics with the pickups it looks a little bit strange the color of the microphones.... not in good shape. Maybe it’s just me but in case that can interfere with the sound of the bass??

lowdownthump likes this.
  19. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    The white one would be my choice.

20. Fero78

Fero78

Jul 28, 2020
    Ended up buying both of them

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021