Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 Finalists - Trace-Elliot and Ashdown Mag series

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hammer2748, Aug 10, 2005.

1. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    Okay, after 2 months of buying, trying, returning numerous amps, speakers, etc., I've narrowed my move to these:

My nephew's Trace Elliot SAH250-GP12SMX rack loaded with a 2-channel compressor, Digitech chorus, and a BBE 362 along with a matching Trace Elliot 2x10 cab for Approx $600.00 (lots of hours on it, but appearance and performance at this point in time is outstanding).

OR

Ashdown Mag-300 with matching 1x15 and 4x10 cabs (all new) ~$900.00

I know, 2 different animals. It's a matter of funding of course, vs. my current gig and past work history. I currently have both the Trace rig and the Ashdown Mag-300 (amp only) in my hands. It's a matter of letting go of the Trace or the Mag-300 (the latter still within the 45-day return window). In either case, I'm looking at a speaker investment. I have an Acoustic 406 that requires new speakers, but not sure what I'll end up with tone-wise after the fact. If I go new with Ashdown, I know what I'll have, but is it worth it vs. a more versatile Trace Elliot system with toys? It boils down to the difference of investing in raw speakers (not returnable) vs. new cabs. I'm so torn????? Input is valued. Appreciate you views. Thanks

Cheers,
    Hammer

2. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Keep them both and buy new cabs...oh wait that doesn't really help.

I'd stick with the trace. I love Trace Elliot amps. Theres not to much that compares to it IMO. It's well built, reliable, versatile and sounds amazing. I'd return the ashdown and get a 15 to go w/ your 210. I've heard mixed reviews on the ashdown stuff. I think it looks pretty good for the $, but I've never used it. I like alot of other amps, but i'll always keep a Trace in my arsenal.

3. go trace... that head smokes the mag no problem!

4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    You know where I stand! :D The Trace head wins in power, features, quality, and tone IMO.

How about the Trace head with Ashdown cabs? Or, contact Eminence or Celestion to see what speakers would fit that Acoustic cab.

5. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    I know, it almost sounds like a no-brainer question, but the Ashdown cabs won't be in the picture if I go with the Trace system. Won't be sufficient funds. It will have to be the Trace with the Acoustic 406 (reloaded). I'm just not sure what I'm going to end up with for tone from the cab. That is the big unknown. The speakers it came with are EV's that have since been discontinued along with the best of their line (per usspeaker.com). Eminence is my next choice and there is one of theirs that is recommended for a 2x15 set-up (B15-8, $129.00 each). JBL's are just out of my budget. I was also considering a Carvin 15 bass speaker. They are 600w 8-ohm and are only $109.00 each. Is Celestion their OEM?? Not sure how those are. I am playing a 5-string Spector and right now, doing mostly covers in multiple genres of music from classic to modern rock, country, and on the side, some smooty jazz for which I have a 1x15 Peavey loaded with a Black Widow that seems to like the Trace set-up. Versatility is definitely required for what I'm doing.........Oh hell, I guess I know where I'm heading with this. I think I just talked myself into the Trace Elliot. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the advice.

Cheers,
    Hammer

6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    You said $600 for the Trace setup, right? If so, that would leave a $300 difference. You can pick up a MAG115T for $250 with free shipping. That would give you one good cab until you can save up for the 410.

Just a thought.

7. Trace plus a new 15" cab! :D

8. am i missing something? or did you just say you had a peavey with a black widow in? keep that! i assume you must be borrowing it otherwise you'd be silly to be concerned about a new cab!

i use a 300 watt trace not quite as fancy as yours but i still love it. with... a MAG115! i love my setup right now, i'm starting to feel that i'm needing more speaker area but the head isn't a concern at all! i've had great experience with the mag cabs, seems like a good combination as long as you don't push the trace too hard, you really won't need to tho. I played a gig last week competing against a 4X12 a 2X12 and a loud drummer. gain set at 6 and master at 4... no problems being heard on stage!

9. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    Actually, you heard it right and I understand your point. The 1x15 is mine and is certainly a player in the picture. 1st the 1x15 is a 4-ohm cab. 2nd, it's just that many of the venues we do, our PA support is minimal and I really need the speaker mass in many cases. Obviously the 1x15 is great in many applications and with that alone, the Trace wins hands-down. But, when I need the speaker mass, this Acoustic 406 really gets it done. It's just that one of the speakers is shot and needs to be replaced. I going to do both (I'm thinking Carvin's 600w-8 ohm, Freq resp 38Hz - 3kHz = $109.00 ea). I wanted JBL's but $325.00 ea, can't do it.

10. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    Appreciate it. That's a thought I've already considererd as well. Believe me, that $300.00 delta is definitely playing into all of this.

Of course, all this will be moot if the potential sale of my Peavey 4x10 and 2x10 TVX's don't pan out this weekend.

Biggest lesson I've learned regarding gear in my musical career is that I'll never purchase a 4-ohm cab again as long as I live (smaller than a 2x15). I've got speakers all over the place, all 4-ohm cabs and since my T-Max fried, I can't utilize the speaker area I need at venues requiring cabinet extension with the systems available to me within my budget. It just limits the available choices. Well, I'm going to get through this weekend, make my decision if things go my way with the sale of the cabs. Then the band is off for about 3 weeks during which time I'll reload the Acoustic 406. Thanks for the input all.

Cheers,
    Hammer

11. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Sell the BBE, Digitech & Compressor (TE has it onboard!). Then get the 1x15 cab :D

12. I have owned both Trace Elliot 1210h 4x10"+1x15" and Ashdown ABM 500 evo head.. and i would without adoubt. get the ashdown head and the trace cabs.

13. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    Definitely a great point worth considering. I thought all that was in there, but I've only had this system a couple weekends and just haven't tried bypassing the toys in the rack to mess with the head independantly. Thanks.

Cheers,
    Hammer