2 finger players, where are your other fingers?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Skel, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    This question is primarily for 2 finger players (I think). I've seen some players with the fingers not used pulled up like a partial fist where you can't see them. Others have their unused fingers dangling next to their plucking fingers. This is how I play. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to either way? If this is really getting nitpicky, I understand...just thought I'd ask.

Thanks - Skel
  2. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    All fingers extended.
  3. just dangling next to my other finger
  4. I usually pluck back & forth w/my index, hanging the others down to mute the unplayed strings. I kind of developed this when I first started playing 6 string; it works pretty well for me on 7 also, but I do it out of habit on 4 & 5.
  5. orlfl

Jul 22, 2005
    Mine are helping mute the other strings. I guess they float along with my thumb, kind of curled into the lower strings as needed.
  6. If i'm floating my pinky and ringer finger hang loose for the most part staying relaxed.

If I anchor they maybe used to mute and curl up as mentioned above.
  7. flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    Mine are generally slightly curved, but maybe hanging, they're wherever they don't get in the way.
  8. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Curved up into a semi-fist would imply extra tension in the hand. Avoid this.

Let them hang as loosely as possible. That's probably your best bet.
  9. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006

10. rebelbass

Feb 16, 2006
    New Jersey
    As Jasper said,relaxed. Mine are usually just hanging,sometimes I curl them. I strive to keep first 3 (P.I.M.) slightly curved by the strings and the pinky kind of straight, always keeping them relaxed or I cramp up.
  11. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    I play with three fingers but often only need 2. Either way, all my fingers have the same position, they're all relaxed and slightly curved, just like when you let your hand hang down from your wrist, thats the most natural position for me.
  12. When I'm only using 2 fingers (index and middle), my other 2 are curled up, like trying to point up at the ceiling but still bent at every joint. Kinda hard to explain.
  13. BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Curled up, waiting their turn. Or muting sometimes.
  14. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Ok. Thanks for the clarification.

15. threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    Mine do whatever they want, which is to typically be slighly curled out. No sense in wasting extra muscle tucking them away somewhere they they aren't doing anything.
  16. Lebowski

Jul 11, 2005
    ...muting the rest of the strings or simply there for balance and/or stability...
  17. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I donated them.
  18. whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    Curled, but not balled up.
  19. I lay them across the strings not being played. I picked this up to mute open string ringing out while I am playing on the higher strings.

20. Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    It doesn't really matter where your ring and pinky fingers are, just as long as they're relaxed and not in your way.