1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2 fingers... 2 different tones help! :(

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Santinotafarell, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Santinotafarell

Santinotafarell Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Hi guys,
    I am primarily an upright player, but aslo play electric. Problem is my 2nd finger has worked a pretty narly callous*, vs my pointer finger which is smooth... This results in me unable to get a consistent warm tone when alternate "picking" with both fingers on electric. Pointer finger comes out smooth and warm, while second finger literally almost sounds like it's being picked. I've tried adjusting my technique, and even rolling the tone off you can still tell the difference, because it creates upper harmonics, almost like when you scrape your pick across the string... Is there anyway to cure this besides adjusting technique (like just using one finger.)
    right now i'm experimenting with using lotion on my middle finger... but only helps a little, and i imagine it's not to good on the strings... I really want to get a consistent sound alternate plucking, so any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    Do you need said callous for upright? If not, it can be gently sanded down with an emery board.

Eli_Kyiv likes this.
  3. Lagado

Lagado Inactive

Jan 6, 2020
    Form a callous on your index to match the mid. If you are using it, it's going to happen anyway.

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Take a hacksaw and lop-off 1/2" from your middle finger. With time, the callouses should even-up. If that doesn't work...

It's normally against the rules but I find myself "leading" with the middle finger. It's longer and has greater reach...matter of conservation of motion / energy. What really screwed me up is when I anchored my thumb on the lowest string or pickup. It creates an unnatural reach or extension and prevents the desired curvature of the fore & middle fingers (...watch a good keyboard player).

If not already doing so, use a floating-thumb approach. I think you'll be pleased with the evenness of response and ease of playing.

Riis

5. Groove Master

Groove Master Commercial User

Apr 22, 2011
    Montreal
    Author of Groove 101, Slap 101 and Technique 101
    It is very hard to get an even tone with the 2 fingers but you can try to look in the mirror your position. May be you can try a different angle for your hand. The position of the plucking hand is not the same on electric which is closer to a right angle 90 compare to the upright.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021