2 GS112's or 1 GS212

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by needmoney, Mar 16, 2005.

1. I'm down to my (definite) final choice between cabs, and it's come down to this. 2 8 ohm GS112's or 1 4 ohm GS212. The 212 will end up being a little cheaper if I decide to take that route, but if the 2 112's are superior then I will definitely go for them. I'd like to know which setup you think would be superior. I'm using a WT-400.

Thanks people.
  2. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i personally like the pair of GS112's. the extra tweeter gives you just a wee bit more cut, and at the same time, much easier to carry. and the GS112 pair might actually be cheaper, since they pop up on ebay from time to time.
  3. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Word on the street is that when the 212 was designed, the idea was to make it sound different than a pair of 112s. So you should really try to audition both.
  4. I wish that was possible, but it's order to buy in my situation so I need everyones trustworthy opinions on here.
  5. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've tried both. They do sound different. I think the pair of GS112's sounds deeper. I liked it because of it's portability. It was nice being able to bring 1 cab to most practices and 2 cabs for medium sized gigs. It was a "cool" looking rig too. I could transport the whole things in the trunk of my Mazda. The GS212 is defintely a nice cab, but I like the bair of GS112's. What kind of amp are you running, that might affect your choice, especially if you're thinking of expanding your cabs for larger applications.

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    if it was me i'd do the two seperate cabs. maybe see if you can get the 2nd one without a tweeter (they do make it that way now) if you really need to save the money. the gs112 has to be one of the most portable cabs i've owned. one in each hand for a single trip is not uncomfortable if you need to do it that way.
  7. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Oh-boy -- another opportunity for me to preach about VERTICAL ARRAYS.

Vertical arrays have better, more even dispersion. the GS212 has the drivers on a diagonal, but stacked 112s would give you vertical alignment.

8. Alrightey, it looks like I'm gonna go for the 2 112's. Just one more question, If i get one with the tweeter and one without, will both cabs sound the same? Am I better off jsut sticking with 2 tweeters?
  9. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Get a tweeter and one without. Sometimes you can have a phase problem with the two 112s. I went wit the two 112s and personally think it is fuller sounding than the GS212. Mainly because you have a bigger "cabinet" with the 2 112s. The depth of the 112 is greater than the depth of the 212. When I use mine together, I never have both tweeter engaged. I think it can get a little harsh sounding.

I use an aguilar db359 or an eden wt300 and have been satisfied with the sound and in most cases it really works well.
    What's cool is with the eden, which I have in a bag I can make one trip from the car carrying both cabs, bass on my back and the amp on my shoulder
  10. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    I've been using a pair of GS112's for about a year now. Powering them with a PLX1202 in bridged mono mode. Makes for mucho headroom. 1200 watts @ 4 ohms. Actually a lot of times I just use a single cab but for the larger gigs it's the pair. The GS112's sound super fine either in a pair or single cab configuration. These cabs sound nice and deep. The pair sounds wonderful at outdoor gigs.

The nice benefit of 2 cabs? Easier to tote around as well as having the ability to go with one driver or two. As for the tweeters. I never use them at all. But I reallly like the sound of my Q5 with 1/2 wounds thru the tweeterless cabs. YMMV. I'd recommend getting the 2 GS112's and get them both with a tweeter. You'll probably never use both tweeters but in the interest of resale down the road I think you'll have an easier time unloading a GS112 that has a tweeter versus one that does not have a tweeter.

You can't go wrong with these babies. Good luck and enjoy.
  11. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I'd love to hear four Berg HT112 stacked vertically (driven by more than adequate clean power, of course).
  12. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

anyone else experience this?
  13. Well you missed one of my GS112's on Australian ebay a couple of months ago going for a song!
    And I got no bids :(

14. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    +1, you preach it man..........

however, i give aggie big credit for using the "almost vertical" design in their 2x12 and especially in the 4x12. A straight vertical 4x12 would probably have been impossible to market, even the diagonal 4x12 probably suffers from some people not wanting to deal with such a tall cabinet. I'm no purist, but vertical arrays are one of the issues i feel strongly about.