Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 gs112's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigdaddy, Oct 14, 2005.

1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy

Feb 4, 2005
    texarkana, usa
    I have a GK 700rbII and an Aggie gs112NT and I really love the rig. I play mostly jazz in a trio and in a loud 20 piece big band. I have seen many threads praising the use of 2 gs112's and how great they sound. My question is does it make a difference in the tone or just in the volume? The rig I have is big enough for the majority of what I play...at times I need more volume, not much though. Will the second help my amp work better or help the over sound of the rig? I play a custom fretless p-bass, an applause acoustic fretless (that sounds great with the set up) and have recently added a Ibanez 506 6 string. Any suggestions? I guess I want the second but would like to be able to tell a $399 difference if I got one. I live in the middle of nowhere and cannot go to play one in a store. The rig I got was from things I read here.

2. Though I can't comment on your rig exactly, I'd heard good things about mixing I believe a Bag End 1x12 with an Aggie 1x12. Just idea to open up ideas.

3. I think it will only add volume and throw, for the most part. But you won't have to push your amp as hard, so with two I think you'd have the volume you need with amp headroom to spare. I pretty much gig both of mine, unless it's a small room.

4. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Don't forget that Aguilar makes an extension 112 cab without the crossover and horn in it. It's much less expensive.

Two cabs with get the full power of your amp running.

5. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Just troll the boards and jump on a used GS112 for $250-275 like I did when they pop up. For example, at Low Down Sound there were 4 used ones sitting there on consignment two weeks ago. They come and go.Watch Bassgear.com as they may show up there more frequently.

I'm impressed with the peformance of one, I think two makes it bigger and fuller but the basic tone is more or less unchanged. I really like these lil suckers.

6. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I use a gs112 and a gs112NT together everytime I play at church. I have only one gs112 at home for practice, but at home I LONG to hear TWO speakers pumping. two or more speakers ALWAYS sound better to me than one, especially solid state sound. (heard an old portaflex 115 at my local music store)

7. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    No real change in tone but a much more 'present' presence. The two cabs together give you a 'fuller' feeling to what you are hearing.

Yes.

Bite the bullet and get the second cab.

If your volume is o.k., don't get it. But if it isn't...

Just Do It!!

[​IMG]

:D

Joe.

8. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I agree, get the second one. If you are buying new, save $50 and get one without the tweeter.

9. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Guys-- the gs112NT *is* the one without a tweeter... I believe "NT" stands for "no tweeter"! Go figure, huh?

With that clarification out of the way, you may talk amongst yourselves...

10. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    DOH!
    You are correct.
    So I guess he already knows about that cab.

11. bigdaddy

bigdaddy

Feb 4, 2005
    texarkana, usa
    thanks everybody...I guess you can tell I am trying to talk myself into getting the second cab. I love the one I have...gotta get another!

12. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    WOW, that stack is H-U-G-E-!-!-! ( I know its not really, but pictures taken at ground level look cool)

13. I'd agree with getting the second cab. My mini-stack can compete with a Mesa Triple Rectifier and 2 4x12 cabs. 2 GS112s couple SO nicely. I really want a Schroeder 1212, though, but I just can't justify the purchase as long as I have these things.

14. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF

Dang, what are you pushing those with??

I had an Aggy GS112 and a Mesa Powerhouse 1x15 together once, with an M-Pulse 600 and it didn't seem that loud. I had trouble at times keeping up with a Single Rec (100W version) and a 4x12...?? :meh:
    I really liked the sound of the Aggies tho. I love my Schro 1210, no doubt, but I wonder what that and the addition of an Aggy 112 would do... ;)

15. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    i use a pair of gs1x12's...best set-up for speakers i've ever had, really
    loud if i need it to be...i also play in a band where the volume-crazy guitarist uses a pair of 4x12 half stacks, and i keep up no problem using a classic svt head. i'm actually looking for a higher gain ss power amp, i can dime the svt with a maxxed clean input gain(this model svt has pre and post)and the cabs can take easily. if i ever decide to go oversized rig, it'll just mean adding a sub cab to what i've got.
    cheers
    d

16. I'm running an old ADA MP-2 tube preamp --> TC Electronics Triple-C Compressor --> GK 1001RB --> 2xGS112

I never have to go past half volume on the GK, either.

17. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Wow, I wish I had that kind of luck whenever I had my Aggy... Maybe one day when money isn't an issue I can get me a pair. I really like 'em from what I remember!

18. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I'm using two GS112s with my Mesa Walkabout head, and I'm pretty happy. :)

But...

...Lately I've been considering trying an Eden 112xlt with one Aggie GS112. I'm just thinking that Eden low-mid hump with the somewhat mid-shy Aguilar would be a killer combo...

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    lol,

isnt that what he owns now? ;)

but yea, IMHO, the volume of two GS112's, equals roughly about what most 4x10's push out.

20. This is my first 'real' post to Talkbass though I've read it almost daily for the last four years'and many of my gear choices are directly related to information obtained from this forum. My most frequently used rig is a GK 2000 rb /Schroeder 1212 but for the first time,last weekend I used the rig pictured here for a reggae dancehall gig. I had no problems being heard! :) I love the tone of both cabs and feel they compliment each other well.