1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2 guitarist hard rock band, what bass do you go to?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Holy War, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    My whole bass playing career has benn in power trios or one guitar bands. Im starting a new project with two guitarists this week. One will be using a Mesa Mark IV and the other is using a Orange Thunderverb. What this means is, lots of watts, and lots of sonic range being used up by the guitar players. The music is probably going to range from everything proggy to stoner rock to classic rock and full on thrash like metal (all originals).

I need a bass thats going to hang and be able to cut through and hold the bottem end together while playing finger style. Rotosound RS 66s or DR High Beams will be my string of choice. Im thinking a Jazz or Stingray but I want some of your suggestions as to what you think would be an ideal bass for this situation.

Thanks,
    HW

2. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    My 3 main axes....MTD 435, Stingray, or my Fender American Deluxe.

I've sort of retired my G&L L2000 but I wouldn't hesitate to grab it in a second. Extremely versatile and the hottest pickups of any bass I own.

3. Bass Collector

Bass Collector

Aug 14, 2008
    Fender Precision is what I use for the same type of band - KILLER!

4. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    I imagine a Warwick of some sort would cut through just about anything.

5. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    Jazz,
    be classy. ;)

6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Peavey Cirrus 5. Or a MM Bongo 5...

MM

7. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    i forgot to add that I own a stingray a MIA jazz and MIA P but wouldnt mind picking something else up

8. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    my only worry about the jazz, is that it would be too growly for prog stuff (think Baroness, Isis, Porcupine Tree etc) that we would be doing. I think it may be a mutiple bass job.

The jazz is my favorite of the three to play though. Im just worried that sonically it will get drowned out by two guitars with all that mid range being used up

9. BTBplayer

BTBplayer

Oct 24, 2008
    Rochester,NY
    I am in the exact same style of band , man ,My MTD Kingston artist 5 , cuts like crazy ,tons of low end punch .Never gets lost in the mix , even with the detuned guitars and 7 strings .

10. sonicnuance

sonicnuance Commercial User

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Engineer & Owner, Sonic Nuance Electronics
    My immediate thought was "a Stingray was made for this situation"

11. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    I would go for a Warwick Thumb NT or an EBMM SR.

12. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    ya man but theres no 7 string guitars and the only down tuning we'll most likely ever do is drop D

13. GianGian

GianGian

May 16, 2008
    I use jazzes with two guitars and it sounds just fine. If it is too growly turn the tone knob. Mine is always on zero by the way.

14. BTBplayer

BTBplayer

Oct 24, 2008
    Rochester,NY
    I have the same thought about my MTD , the preamp is very tweekable I think it would kill in your situation , if not, I would go with the other guys who have said a stingray .

15. BassScum

BassScum

May 1, 2008
    So Cal
    The 3 basses you have will cover anything you play.

16. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    haha, kinda my thoughts too (I think Im just looking for an excuse to get something new)

:help::help::help:

17. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    A jazzish thing, i.e., my Reverend Rumblefish 5L

18. Bluejay

Bluejay

May 12, 2008
    Yah man, as BassScum said, you're good to go. If the Jazz is your favorite bass, stick with it.
    A consideration, though, is your amp and cabs. You never told us what you have available.
    More clean power may be needed.
    I use a GENZ BENZ GBE 600 and mike the cabs if needed. Simple.
    If that doesn't work for you.
    Think GBE 1200. Its killer!
    Then maybe a little more cab.
    I like Avatar. Great value for the dollar.

19. mellobud

mellobud

May 17, 2007
    Instead of competing for the low mids, why not a precision with flats and use up the low end of the spectrum.

you'll have that low fundamental and be felt by your audience.

20. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    im running a mesa big bock 750 with mesa roadready powerhouse cab loaded with 4x10s and 1x15