1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2 Hartke 210xl's or 1 Avatar neo210?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cabrego, Sep 21, 2008.

1. cabrego

cabrego Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2007
    I've used an SVT 4 Pro and SWR Goliath Senior for a couple of years now. The band I'm about to start playing with doesn't have a trailer so I'll have to transport my rig in the back of my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I just ordered a GK mb2-500 and now I need a portable cab. I'm trying to figure out if I should order an avatar b210 neo cab or 2 hartke 210xl's. I used to use a transporter cab with a 400rb and it sounded great. Now they have a 3 year no hassle warranty. What do you guys think I should do?

2. fitbass3p

fitbass3p

Oct 7, 2006
    Madison, WI
    The Hartkes will definitely allow you significantly more volume, and I think they sound better. But, they're also pretty heavy, and you'd have to lug them around everywhere.

Personally, I'd go with the Hartkes.

3. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    i would say avatar.... ive played a neo and own an older kappa pro cab and theyve sounded better then any hartke ive played.

4. cabrego

Jan 21, 2007
    The neo cab only weighs 2 pounds less.

5. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    The 210xl isn't a great cab (I own one). Sealed design in a cab of this size means low end is very limited. I think it was intended more as a complement to a 115, especially in a bi-amp setup (when these came out, the xl range were Hartke's best cabs and their top amps were bi-amp capable).

The 2.5xl is a different story and better all round (bigger, more efficient, ported, more low end, nice mids and highs from the 5" driver).

I have used a 2.5xl on it's own for smaller gigs, a 115xl with the 210xl or 2.5xl for medium gigs and all 3 cabs on occasion. But there is no way on Earth I would attempt to gig with a 210xl on it's own, or even two of them, they're just not up to the job. So my advice is don't buy two of these as a rig without REALLY checking them out first - if you do I'd be very surprised if you choose to go with them (unless your gigs are very quiet).

6. cabrego

Jan 21, 2007
    I'll have good PA support, but on stage I'll be up against a mesa dual rec and matching 4x12 cab.

7. Andrew2

Andrew2

Jul 23, 2008
    Go with two Hartke 2.5xl, it is much better than 210xl and has a great low end. Personally I would go with 4.5xl:)

8. I've owned both types as well. I suspect 2 cabs will always do better than 1 cab of the same type. More drivers and cabinet space BUT the Avater is hands down a better cab. If you are not playing a 5 string I'd go with the Avatar. I play a five string and I use 2 of these with a simple Acoustic B200 head and look out. I have PA support as well and I'm always to loud for the stage. If you can get 2 harkes in the jeep I imagine you can get 2 Avatars. They Avatars might even be less at retail price?

Stack em vertical and they will do an amazing job. IMHO

CP

9. cabrego

Jan 21, 2007
    I went with the Avatar B212 NEO. It rocks harder than my SWR Goliath SR.