2 Hartke 4.5 XL cabs - WHAT HEAD tu run them well?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MateuszCh, Jan 20, 2006.

1. I`m almost to buy two Hartke 4.5 XL cabinets and I`m seriously thinking what kind of Head use to run them well ??

Thanks for help
  2. lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    It's always nice to have some spare power - so the stronger the better. :) Soundwise it really depends on your taste.
    And by the way, it's nice to see another fellow European here. :hyper: :bassist:
  3. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    It's up to you depending on your taste.... but I swear by a Tech21 Landmark 600 Head :bassist:
  4. I run mine with a fender 300 PRO all tube head - more than enough power to push those cabs. anything from 400 watts upwards
  5. didier

Aug 4, 2005
    That's alot of power and weight!

I like GK through Hartkes, but, like every one will tell you, it is all about what sound YOU are looking for.
  6. the Hartkes are pretty bright and can be harsh in the very high mids, so as long as you got a decent eq to cut those frequencies if you dislike them? I find they help the cabs to cut through in the mix quite nicely...IMO
  7. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

They sound clear but not harsh. I regretted selling mine. I bought into the paper only thing. Those cabs rock. They are not the most efficient, but make up for it in clarity. They will faithfully reproduce the sound of your amp whatever it is. I would stick with a SS amp for them.
  8. dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    I think these cabs are only harsh if you EQ them exactly the same as paper cones.. I think they are completely different beasts. I never had a harsh tone from mine, infact, I managed a very warm tone.
    As for amp.. yup I'll definitely agree with all valve. I ran an SVT2 pro into my 2 and it sounded fabulous.. A setup I miss dearly, but alas my back fell out with all 3 together!!