Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 heads/one cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dr_love2112, Oct 11, 2005.

1. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    ive tried to search for this but can you run 2 heads (backline 600s) into one cab (avatar 4x10 4ohm), if so how can i do it???

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    NO

not at the same time. you'll destroy your heads (at least the lower wattage one).

now if you want to switch between the two without switching the cable you'd need to have a special switch made for you that could handle speaker level current and that has a "break before make" type switch on it. the real techs know more about this than i do.

3. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    ok thanks that deystroed my ideas!!!! but i have more :D

4. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Not at the same time, but tonebone makes a switcher that lets use switch heads in a pedal form. It's not cheap but it does the trick.

5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Why would you want to do this?!?

6. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    because i am cheap and have little money but i want to have a stereo setup.

7. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Even if it would work to have two amps into one cab that wouldn't be stereo anyway.

8. Rewire your cab so it has 2 seperate inputs and stuff, basically make it two 2x10's in the same box

That would change the impedance of each "cab", but would make it stereo

Someone please word that better before this guy explodes himself

9. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    Radial makes a box that will switch between 2 heads and one cabinet. Thats one head at a time, though. I used to think something like that was technically impossible but those guys at Radial have all sorts of clever boxes these days. Not cheap tho'

10. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Isn't that exactly what I said :)

11. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    dont worry i had an electrical engineer help me and he said that i have to "split the cab" but because of teh speakers in teh same box it would sound bad, so im just going to have to buy me 2 cabs

12. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    OR...he can feed the preamp out (effects out) to the other head, then feed it into the active in of the other head. That would be louder, but not resault in a stereo rig. Neither would putting them into the same cab either. Or, as someone else said, you could wire the speakers but as far as I can tell, you are too inexperienced to perform this (no offense). Try and take the cab to a car stereo place or even your local music shop and tell them what you want to do.

13. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    actually i did the subs in my car and i already have a 4x10 cab made out of old car subs thats 8ohms but i hate the sound, and i did all of that stuff with just a little bit of help from some level headed on this website and the wiring diagrams on avatars website, my uncle and dad does custom car steroes so i have been around this stuff sence i was little. and im in pre-cal and still a jr in highschool so ohms and stuff is just basic math. i wanted the stereo 4x10 cab only for portablity, but i CAN wire it up to 2x10s but how the cabs are made theres no way to divide the 2x10s up. also what makes you think that im "too inexperienced to perform this" im j/w. but if some one older than me tells me that and explains why then ill consider to trash my ideas but until then i KNOW i can.

14. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I'm just guessing, but it is probably just a cautious thought based on the original question (regarding two amps into one cab). I don't think it was at all derogatory, just someone making sure that no one gets in over their head. No one here would want you diving into your cabinet and ending up with something you couldn't get to work. It would be better to assume that you didn't know how to rewire it (when you actually could do it), than to assume you know how to do it (and you really didn't).

What are you trying to achieve with a stereo setup? Are you going for a biamp setup? Did you want a 'clean' amp and an 'effected' amp? Two different amps, one driving each channel? Is there a specific player's sound or style you're trying to get? Are you just wanting to try something different?

I'm just asking because many (including myself) have tried stereo and/or biamp rigs, and found them to be less than the sum of their parts (meaning running the same amp and cabs in mono sounded better). One unique example I can think of is Amy from the band Clatter. She has a lot going on with her Ric and multiple amp setup. She has done a lot of work to get her sound, and it's perfect for what she does. See Amy's equipment list here

I personally love trying different things, but usually they take money and time to work through to completion, and often the end results are not earth-shattering.

15. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

Honestly I think i'd be nice to do that, running a TFB550 and an SVT-CL into a berg NV425 as clean and distortion heads, respectively. GAS!!!

16. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Thanks, and no, I wasn't trying to offend. If you ran out and tryed to do it, and screwed it up, I'd feel pretty bad. Better safe then sorry.

17. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    well the sound im going for is vintage geddy. ive done tons of research on his old setup with the sun heads and the old rick. so thats what im after but ive found almost teh sound last night with my mono setup so im not going to do it anymore

18. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Stereo in one cab doesn't have to sound bad, the Trace BFC had the 4x10 split into a left and a right and a 1x15 sub for good measure and it sounded good, nearly bought one till I felt the weight, 87kg. Imho stereo is over rated in amps, you can do some cool stuff but it is an expensive road to go down. Anyway, I think you're best sticking with mono, if you want to go stereo, get another cab and get a signal splitter cable so you can feed both amps.