2 Heads, Total Volume: 100 + 100 = ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by K2000, Jan 14, 2006.

1. K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    I need a loud setup in order to play The Rock and Roll (the kind with the Marshall half-stacks). I don't have the dough to buy a 300 watt tube amp.

However, I do have access to two inexpensive 100 watt tube heads.

Now if I were to split my signal and run these two amps in tandem (with two cabs) would it ever get "loud" enough?

Or would it just sound like two not-very-loud-amps, and not make the impact I hoped it would? :confused:

I've got a hunch that it's not going to cut the mustard, since neither cab will ever be truly "loud" and sound pressure levels are probably not cumulative. Help?
  2. joetiii

Oct 27, 2002
    The ampeg V4 is a 100 watt all tube amp & It can get loud.

In terms of loudness, your speaker cabs efficiency is just as important as the power of your amp. A cab rated at 103 db will sound noticeably louder than a cab that is rated at only 100db.

A 3db difference in loudeness in an amp is said to require double the amount of power. So that a 100 watt amp coupled to a 100db cab will sound as loud as a 200 watt amp with a 97 db cab. Make sense?

Schroder cabs and some Edens are rated at 104 db. They sound loud!

The other thing to consider is that you are the master of low frequency. You need to move air. More cabs means moving more air. I think two amps and 4 cabs would cut through the Marchall stacks no problem/
  3. 8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.

would it be loud enough for YOU? i have no idea.