Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 hurricanes nearing HI

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Muzique Fann, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Jova and Kenneth are headed this way. The weather has been really weird lately. It's been super dry and we even had a small fire a few weeks ago - that just doesn't happen here. It's finally been raining again the last couple days. People are saying that this is exactly how the weather was before Iniki in '92. The county guys had a meeting this morning about it. We'll probably get a little bit of one of them. We shall see. We already have 8-15 foot waves in some places and a local surfer drowned yesterday at Poipu.

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Stay safe!

We are finally getting some rain up here in MA. It has been quite dry here as well.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yikes. Iniki was some scary stuff. Nice large waves, too bad someone had to die. I've had the chance to see some of those 15 footers in person on the North Shore. Quite an impressive display from nature. It gives me the chills just thinking about them as I type this.

-Mike

4. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I thought it was called a typhoon?

5. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    So now there's 2 hurricanes and 2 tropical storms trearing up the Pacific. People are saying the first 2 will warm up the waters well enough for the others to trample right on through.

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I was there for Iniki - not fun stuff! I remember when we landed on the island (I was stationed on O'Ahu), there wasn't a telephone pole standing on Kauai... stay safe, man.

7. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    Hey Pacman, how long were you stationed there in the band on Hickam? I was stationed with the pacfleet navy band on pearl for a few years in the 90s myself, we may have met or done some of those festivals together at one time or another.

Our weather has been crazy here on Guam lately also. I've been through a bunch of typhoons in the past and the last big one left me with no power for 45 days and no water for two weeks. A few small ones have passed by so far this year but no direct hit.

Where is this one heading to for Hawaii? My wife and mother-in-law just flew out a few hours ago to head to Hilo due to a death in the family, a hurricane is the last thing they need now.

8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I was at Schofield from '91 to '94 (basically '95). Had a blast, but didn't do too many joint things. I gigged with some local guys, in a salsa band and in a country band...

9. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    We're expecting a little rain here in Houston this weekend ourselves... :(

10. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    That is so strange that I haven't heard a THING about Hawaii on the news. Why is that? That's so totally retarded. I'll be praying for you guys. We're about to get somethin' fierce too.