1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2 in 1- Getting a smooth neck and file frets?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by shawshank72, Mar 19, 2013.

1. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    I recently got a bass from someone that was put together from parts. When i took off the neck to shim it i noticed it was a mighty mite. Its a decent neck but the back of the neck isnt smooth like ive always played and its bugging me.
    How do you get the back of the neck to be smooth and silky?
    Plus there is alot of fret overhang in areas, how do you file the ends without messing up the neck?
    Sorry but these are things i have never had to deal with so i just dont know.

2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    For the back of the neck, check this out:

For the fret overhang, I would have that done by a professional. The right tools make all the difference and it does take some experience to get the job done without marking up the neck. It won't cost much.

3. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Cant understand him too well, what is he using?

4. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    ahhh abrasive pad

5. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    In case someone finds this thread via google search...

If you have, or know someone with, a diamond sharpening stone, that's a great way to clean up fret sprout on the fret ends. It's abrasive enough to grind the metal, but doesn't scratch the finish. It's easy to feel when it's contacting metal and when it's not. I just cleaned up one of my Warmoth necks with it.