1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2 IN, 2 OUT Pedal w/ Shared Effects Loop?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by stambroker, May 31, 2017.

1. stambroker

stambroker Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
    Hey all, I'm looking for a pedal/piece of gear that will allow me to have my guitar and bass using their respective amplifiers but share my singular pedalboard. The Radial Mix-Blender pedal gets pretty close to what I want, but it only has one out and I'd like a pedal that allows me to switch from guitar->EFX->guitar amp and bass->EFX->bass amp with one press of a button.

So far, the Empress Buffer+ Stereo (Buffer+ Stereo) looks absolutely perfect for this and is the only option that I can identify. However, I don't need all of the special boost/filter bells and whistles, and I'd rather not spend $300. Any ideas that I'm missing for this kind of setup? I'm thinking a custom order would cost approximately what the Empress does so I may end up biting the bullet.

buffer_-stereo-top_6d7b8e05-1009-4bb2-9771-096b9caf06c5.

TonyP- and Alien8 like this.
  2. jefkritz

jefkritz

Oct 20, 2007
    iowa city, IA
    Do you solder at all? You could do this yourself for pretty cheap. Really cheap if you already have a soldering iron, wire cutters, etc. If you just want to switch between guitar + guitar amp and bass + bass amp, it should be pretty simple. At its most basic, it would just be four jacks and a 3PDT stomp switch. If you need volume adjustment, etc, it would get more complicated.

I'm not great with computer-generated wiring diagrams, but could probably draw something for you if you were interested. Let me know if this would be helpful. Others may have diagrams of similar things already.

3. Regarding the Empress, does both in 1 and 2 pass through both fx loops? Or is it channel 1 through fx loop 1, and channel 2 through fx 2?

/Kalle

4. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

I'm fairly certain a Boss LS2 can do this.

EDIT: doesn't look like it, sorry.

Saturnworks could likely build what you want for way less than $300.

5. Checked Empress' homepage. Cool help feature to realize how you can run the pedal to solve your specific problem. It's got plenty of features alright.
    You're looking to use "Mode 10: Instrument Select - Seperate rigs, Shared effects" I suppose.

Dunno about a better option. I guess you could use a 2-to-1 pedal before the fx loop, and a 1-to-2 pedal after (ABY pedals that is). But that would be two button presses when switching instrument/amp.

/Kalle

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  6. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    Honestly when someone is looking at Empress for a solution, and they have exactly what you want, the price becomes secondary. Regardless of the product, the service/support is perfect, long warranties, etc. The products do stand the test of time and have very critical details added to ensure thing like in this case crosstalk, loading issues, pops clicks, phase and noise issues are taken care of.

Spend the money, love that it works for you REALLY WELL. Building your own could and usually does lead to learning about why you have noise issues, thus redesigning etc. That said, I'm a big advocate for learning as well, so if you are patient and not playing live, build yer own, otherwise spend the money and get back to playing without trouble.

alecduncan likes this.
  7. stambroker

stambroker Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
    In the mode I would use, Mode 10 Rig Select, I believe there's only the option for one shared effect loop (In1-> EFX Loop 2 -> Out1 AND In2 -> EFX Loop 2 ->Out2). There's a stupid amount of variety on the Empress, but I don't really need dual efx loops unless I can run them into each other and change the order similar to how the Boss ES-8/other fancy switch boxes do it.

Alien8 and karla684 like this.
  8. Jop vS

Jop vS

Aug 2, 2015
    You could get two boss ls-2 pedals. One before the board and one after. The one before selects the input (a or b), the one after selects the amp (a or b). If you place the ls-2's next to each other, you can easily press them both at the same time. Any other a/b switch would also work, but the bosses are easy to press in tandem, in my experience.

lz4005 and LowActionHero like this.
  9. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    It may be better (tone wise) to build 2 different pedal boards - one for guitar and one for bass.

One other thing to think about using the same pedals for guitar / bass, you would be dialing in the effects every time you switch instruments.

Plectrum72, Alien8 and karla684 like this.
  10. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    While I see your point and agree that you might want to change settings between skinny and phat strings, it's just not always the case.

I'm easily running both through my pedal board without tweaks and it sounds good!! The board was designed with this in mind however.
    Well, I can tell you that you won't save much by cutting out the extra fx loop, maybe $10 in parts. You have sooooo much else to help you make it work right and really we'll for your needs.

As mentioned, two Boss LS-2 bought used put right next to each other on your board is probably the cheapest solution you can find, or yeah, Saturn works will be close in price.

11. JFLbass

JFLbass

Mar 3, 2010
    Montreal
    Why not just an A/B switch at the end of your pedalboard? Use the same cable to plug your bass and guitar.... and you switch the amp. For an 100$ you'll have a Radial bigshot.

12. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    Because that only works for the front of the amp, not the effects loop in the back.

13. Blu bro

Blu bro

Mar 1, 2012
    Aus
    my guitarist tried doing this, ended up calling the Saturn works dude who was great to work with. but even after it all it meant a lot more tap dancing.

My guitarist wanted to be able to play his guitar through the pedal board and have his keys "clean" and then when his guitar was "clean" play the keys through the board.

After doing a lot of work, we ultimately just bought a separate delay and overdrive/boost pedal for the keyboard and kept the big board for the guitar.

14. Empress has good prices on Blems, ask 'em if they have any.

Or go custom Broughton Audio, Josh could knock that out for you easily. Be sure to ask for it using a meme...

alecduncan likes this.
  15. warrplayer

warrplayer

Apr 16, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    I play a stereo instrument and have researched this pretty thoroughly. Don't have one, but pretty sure the Line 6 m13 will do this. Switch between custom patches. Have all the bass patches created to route out the stereo effect send after being treated by whatever effects you choose. Switch at will to your guitar patches and have them go to your guitar amp from the regular outputs. On the guitar patches program nothing routed to the fx send. ON the bass patches program an effect AFTER the fx send that has a master volume of zero so the main outs get no signal.

16. warrplayer

warrplayer

Apr 16, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    A helix will do this too for a lot more money. :)