2 j-coils + 1 new casing = Humbucker?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mon Rominee, Jul 19, 2004.

1. I have an old pair of S.D. vintage J coils I want to put in one cover, and make it a humbucker.

1) feasable?
    2) has anyone done it
    3) did it sound good?

I know it's possible, done many times over...just curious about these coils.

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Never done it, but it should work.
  3. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Done it. Yes...sounds good but VERY hot. Watch the pickup height.
  4. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    It will be "hot" if you wire them in series. If you wire them in parallel, the output will be the same as a single J type was before.
  5. But really, how hot? I mean I purposely picked coils that were generally lower on the impedance scale (7-8K)

Would it be drastically hotter than any other humbucker?

This is the stuff I'm curious about. I used to have a G&L 2000, and THAT had some seriously hot pups. So much so I had to turn the vol knob down so it wouldn't distort when I recorded with it...

Is it gonna be THAT kind of "hot"??? I know it's up to me to experiment, but I don't want to end up with a mid-heavy buzzfest...I want it to be beefy, in a non-hi-fi way... I intended on a series / parallel switch too.
  6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    No, shouldn't be drastically hotter than other hb's.
    Obviously it all depends on the windings etc, but I think the point was just that a humbucker wired in series will be louder than two single coils wired in parallel.
    Most people know that, as you did, but some people don't so it's definitely a point worth mentioning.
  7. Definitely. And I appreciate that very much... :bassist:
  8. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    You may know this already, but you could use the existing covers... just file off the pickup screw tangs (is that what they're called?) on one side from both of 'em, then glue 'em together on that side.
  9. Yeah...I could go that route, sure. But here's the thing. This pup is for a non-reverse t-bird "homage" piece I'm doing, where I'm going to mold the casing, and in the center is going to be a t-bird logo...recessed. I was going to slip the coils into the "cover" afterwards, and then parrfin wax the coils in place.

Then I was going to, in some way, get a pearloid type of resin to fill in the logo recess on the top of the cover, and then sand the top to make it look trick....

I'm not going for vintage correct, obviously... I just don't want the pole pieces to show...

Thanks for the thought tho, appreciate it.

Did I mention I hate the sound of the new Gibson t-bird pups? I bought one to test, and it sounded TOO murky. Shame, it was a killer price.