1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

(2 jobs) US Navy Band Bass instrumentalist

Discussion in 'Wanted: Bass Players' started by Thomas Eby, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Thomas Eby

Thomas Eby Commercial User

Nov 9, 2020
    Washington DC
    US Navy Band
    Jazz Bass Career!
    Please help spread the word, the Navy Band Commodores (my band here in DC) is hiring for Jazz BASS for the first time since 1991. That's not a typo. That's how rarely these jobs are available. Applicants must be 39 and younger, fit for military service.
    Next door, coincidentally, is another BASS opening in the rhythm section for our vocal group, the Sea Chanters.
    https://www.navyband.navy.mil/auditions?direct
    Gigs pay $64k-67k depending on if you're single or married, full benefits for the family, $65k student loan payoff, 30 days paid vacation.
    It's a 4 year commitment, but 99% of us stay 20+years to retirement for a reason. There's a serious pension and a normal 401k type retirement.
    Looking for the best of the best serious jazz bassist for the Commodores and someone with tremendous talent for multiple musical styles for the Sea Chanters. Applicants are welcome to apply to both positions. I am invested as I will likely be playing with this person for many years!
    FAQ:
    1) Yes, you enlist in the military and go to boot camp. Worth it.
    2) This is a MUSICIAN job. We hire professional musicians to be musicians We are not trained in other rates (navy jobs).
    3)We are permanently stationed in DC. We don't move which I think is the only job in the military with this perk.
    4) No, we do not live on base. I own a house in Alexandria, VA.
    5) Normally (non-covid), we tour 3-4 weeks a year, domestically.
    6) The age requirement is 39 and below. Historically has been 34. We often hire seasoned musicians in their 30's (I was 34), but no partiality is shown. We just hired an AMAZING 21 y/old trombonist. The position is granted to the best playing applicant regardless.
    7) The audition process is mostly blind. The resume required should not be a hindrance!
    TURN IN AN AUDIITON TAPE! There is no official commitment until the day you ship to boot camp.
    9) Yes, we can play elsewhere so long as we do not conflict with our primary duty to the Navy

Feel free to contact me with any questions about what a gig like this is really like. Happy to talk about it!
    ThomasEbyNavyAuditions@yahoo.com
    I attached a couple fliers with some info on it as well.

Thomas Eby
    US Navy Band Commodores

IMG-3307.JPG

Attached Files:

jhfishn, Picton, 57pbass and 4 others like this.
  2. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Wow, awesome. There are a lot of great bassists on here, some of whom have done these types of jobs before. In an alternate life, a younger, more talented me would have jumped on something like this. Good luck to whoever gets this gig!!

Thomas Eby and jebmd like this.
  3. Jammons1

Jammons1

Jun 28, 2019
    Thomas, Just want to shout out, What a GREAT opportunity for serious musicians. I did meet some of the MU's when stationed in Millington. Hands down some of the best performing groups you will ever see. Where can I get a schedule of performances? Not much in Houston. Jeff Ammons USN retired

Thomas Eby likes this.
  4. AFONE

AFONE

Jan 10, 2021
    Washington DC
    Awesome opportunity! If I was younger, not a retired officer, and a much much better bass player, I’d give it a go. I’m even local. That said, I will spread the word! Thanks for sharing the info.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021