Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 Levelars used together and tube types

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by LeftyLB70P, Jul 6, 2005.

1. LeftyLB70P

LeftyLB70P

May 4, 2005
    Athens, Ga.
    I started using a Levelar a number of months ago and have been really pleased with it. Then after the vocalist in my band bought one and decided she didn't need it, I had the thought of running through both hers and mine. I am not compressing the signal twice, rather I simply want the signal to pass through both tubes. I believe that I can hear a difference and when I swapped out the original tubes with actual 12AX7's the change was noticable.
    I have 2 questions: :help:
    1)As far as tubes go, does anyone have specific suggestions about good tubes for use in the Levelar? My guitar player raves about Mullards and I am thinking about buying 1-2 but I am also open to suggestion ~ especially if there are certain tubes that offer certain tonalities.
    2)What do you think about my theory of running through both simply to send the signal through both tubes? I know that my ear is the ultimate guide (for me) and that sound is subjective but does this made some sense or absolutely not? I feel like I can hear a difference but it is not a radical change in tone so it is possible that I suffer from "wishful hearing" :ninja:

Sorry for the book. Please give me details to your opinions & thinking.
    Thanks

2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    1) Mullards are great tubes, guitar players like them because of how 'sweet' they are when pushed into overdrive.
    (don't think you need that in your app.)
    However, Mullar, Tele, any NOS European or American tube
    is far better then the new Chinese and Russian tubes.

2) If you like it use it.
    If it's good to your ear (even if it's quasi-illusion), who cares?
    Voodoo has powerful Mojo.
    Maybe it has more to do with the tubes response,
    attack, sustain, and a load of other stuff that doesn't necessarily
    have so much to do with 'tone' per-say.

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    LeftyLB70P,

Just curious... ...Do you remember what the original tubes were before you changed them?

When I had a Levelar, it came with a Jan Phillips tube which (I believe) is a quality tube.

4. LeftyLB70P

LeftyLB70P

May 4, 2005
    Athens, Ga.
    Hey Slater,
    Both were the same tubes.... they were [as discussed in another post] 12AT7 versus 12AX7's and the overall response is noticable different. I would not say the AT's were bad at all and I may go back to them but the overall sound is noticable different.