1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2 Mike Lulls (1 P and 1 J) hanging in the GC in SF

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blackbird, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Just a heads up to anyone who ever wanted to check one out. I checked the J (It was within arm's reach) It felt like a J, but clunky in a weird way. Not my type of neck at all I didn't plug it in, as I am not in the market for a bass anymore, but it was interesting to see. Also, they have a Yamaha BB300 for $129, which is a pretty good deal. The Lull P and J are going for $1400 each. Check 'em out if that's your poison.

2. For that price, I'd rather get the second hand Elrick 5 strings NJS Bass for sale in this forum for $1650.

3. I really like Mike's basses. My parents live about 10 blocks away from his shop in Bellevue, WA. He has a wide variety of electronics options available and IMO does some of the best setup work out there. My only criticism is that he is a parts builder (i.e. he doesn't build the necks and bodies himself) but that same argument can be made of Sadowsky and others. Of the basses I have played of his, all of them have been outstanding players. Next time I would definately plug one in and give it a second look of you are into the hodrodded Fender kind of vibe.

-Chris

4. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I played a Lull J in a local store the other day. I spent some time with it, and while it was a good bass, I think I was expecting better. I would describe the way it played as 'clunky' as someone mentioned above. The sound was good though, I just didn't take to the feel. It wasn't as tight as I expected, I'm used to a Jazz having a tighter feel.