Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 Mike Lulls (1 P and 1 J) hanging in the GC in SF

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blackbird, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Just a heads up to anyone who ever wanted to check one out. I checked the J (It was within arm's reach) It felt like a J, but clunky in a weird way. Not my type of neck at all I didn't plug it in, as I am not in the market for a bass anymore, but it was interesting to see. Also, they have a Yamaha BB300 for $129, which is a pretty good deal. The Lull P and J are going for $1400 each. Check 'em out if that's your poison.

2. For that price, I'd rather get the second hand Elrick 5 strings NJS Bass for sale in this forum for $1650.

3. I really like Mike's basses. My parents live about 10 blocks away from his shop in Bellevue, WA. He has a wide variety of electronics options available and IMO does some of the best setup work out there. My only criticism is that he is a parts builder (i.e. he doesn't build the necks and bodies himself) but that same argument can be made of Sadowsky and others. Of the basses I have played of his, all of them have been outstanding players. Next time I would definately plug one in and give it a second look of you are into the hodrodded Fender kind of vibe.

-Chris

4. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I played a Lull J in a local store the other day. I spent some time with it, and while it was a good bass, I think I was expecting better. I would describe the way it played as 'clunky' as someone mentioned above. The sound was good though, I just didn't take to the feel. It wasn't as tight as I expected, I'm used to a Jazz having a tighter feel.