2 month old Ernie Ball Strings just Snapped

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bertbassplayer, Mar 27, 2001.

1. Ummm... I just had some... well not brand new... they are about two months old... but one of my Ernie Ball strings for my 5 strings just snapped...
  2. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    2 months isnt bad. I change my strings every month.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Check the saddles on your bridge for sharp edges. That's the most common cause for string breakage.
  4. my advice:
    use rubber bands
    sure they wont work when you plug into your amplifier, but they are a lot cheaper
  5. That's the reason that I don't use ernie gonad strings. Happened to me once while playing resulting in 2 broken fingers.
  6. oxwah1331

oxwah1331 Guest

Mar 26, 2001
    i never really had a good set of EB's
  7. Yea, I went out today and got me some Dean Markley Blue Steels
  8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

thegreatone just had a thread about this and I think he was using Ball's. I never used `em, but I thought they were supposed to be good strings. This being the second thread about them and this problem, I'm thinking they may not be too good.

However, the bassist in the Deadlights used Balls, and talk about digging in!!! (sheeesh!)

Check those bridge saddles as JMX mentioned, make sure you are tuning correctly, and that your neck doesn't have some kind of weird twist that makes your strings not exactly straight. If you have a hard attack, the combination, )especially if your bridge has sharp edges), could just repeat the problem with any new set of strings.
  9. I checked my neck, my frets, and my bridge... all fine... I guess maybe I just had a bad set of strings
  10. akajuve400g

May 22, 2000
    thats nothing, I snapped one of my warwick strings about 10 minutes after I put them on.......
  11. ive been snapping rubber bands left and right but luckily for me i got a bag of 500 for $1
  12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Concert tuning??? (440 A)? Or is it just by ear to a CD or some other sources?
  13. Mark Russell

Mark Russell

Sep 2, 2000
    In reference to Ernie Ball strings, I tried them when I first started playing (many moons ago) and thought they were utter crap, I bought one set when I didn't know any better and they were rusty near the ball ends, sounded awful! I'm from the UK so I don't know if you can get these elsewhere but I use Elites, have for years, I play slap, amongst other styles, and I have NEVER had a string break yet, I must admit I change them every other gig, but when I was a poor student I used to boil them to get the brightness back, and use them for months, with no trouble, so my advice is to ditch the Balls, and try other brands until you find one you like, be open minded and experiment!!
  14. Yes, correct 440A Tuning. I have a Chromatic Tuner, that I use for my orchestarial insturments, thats the one I used to tune it. Yes it has a input for a chord too.
  15. blong1

Apr 10, 2000
    i've never had a problem with them and have used them 2 or 3 times. i've got a 5 string set of flats on my warwick and a set of roundwound Slinky's on my ibanez. both sound fine and are holding up pretty good. but i change my strings alot...i'm experimenting with different kinds until i find some i really like.
  16. Reid

Aug 25, 2000
    Oakville, Ontario
    I've had my eb's on for 3 1/2 months, I love'em.
  17. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I just put a set of Ernie's on my Precision. After using flats for quite a while, I wanted to try some generic middle-of-the-road type nickel rounds. So far, they sound pretty good, reasonably even across the neck, and so on. I played them today at church and they sounded fine. I'll see how they last.
  18. Never had a complaint about the sound..... its just they snapped
  19. SlappinDaBass

Mar 29, 2001
    i just got some ernie ball strings a month ago and they buzz like a bitch. i dont think ill evr use those again.
  20. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    After hearing so much about Ernie Balls, I tried some not long ago, and the sound was good - very bright. However, they snapped after about a month, which isn't very long for me. So, I'm back on the Rotosounds for now...