Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 months in NYC : what to do ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by lionel, Mar 2, 2006.

1. lionel

lionel

Sep 3, 2003
    Guadeloupe - FWI
    Hi all,

I'm going to spend 2 month in NYC (june/july) and don't really know what to do there ! of course I would like to visit music shops and the entire city but also I'ld like to know if there're places where open jam sessions are organised (I play mostly jazz, funk and latin music)

also here (in Guadeloupe) , playing bass is my job, Do you think that I could have a chance to find some gigs in the big apple (is there classified ads for musicians or something like that ?)

thanks in advance for all inputs, recommandations, advices etc...

Cheers

lionel

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    There are a million jam sessions, there are more places that you can sit in as you become acquanited with the players and the scene. There are also a bazillion private sessions that you can get hooked into as you become acquainted with the players and the scene.

GIGS: well, hard to say. You're in the same job market as Peter Washington, Lincoln Goines, Andy Gonzalez, Matthew Garrison and about a million other bass players. Most of whom used to be the baddest cat in wherever they were from before they moved here. You can go from making $40 or 50 at the Needle or 55 bar to $300 -400 doing clubdates through an agency.

If you're an unbelievably great player who networks extremely well, you can probably get some gigs.

3. lionel

lionel

Sep 3, 2003
    Guadeloupe - FWI
    Thanks a lot for your reply Ed.

I would certainly not compare myself to the cats you quoted and I also realize that there's billion of bassists better than me in such a big city. :smug: plus I don't want to "steal" some local musician's job.

If some of you have weblink on places You use to jam/play at ! I will be very happy to visit it .

thanks

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Wear more clothes than this guy though.......

[​IMG]

-Mike

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.

It seems to be down today, so check tomorrow

www.allaboutjazz.com

on one of the top tool bars you can choose GUIDES that will give you a drop down from which you will choose U.S. CITIES which will give you a drop down from which you will choose NEW YORK. That gives you a (printable) PDF of the NYC magazine whihc includes a list of venues and there corresponding addresses.

Some jam sessions include
    BLUE NOTE
    CLEOPATRA'S NEEDLE
    SMALL'S
    SMOKE
    PUMPKIN'S (Brooklyn)
    UP AND OVER (Brooklyn)
    LENOX LOUNGE

but there's lots more.

6. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    my biaesd advice would be to take the train (or a rental car) up to Boston and catch a real baseball game in a real baseball stadium

:bag:

OK, on a more serious note - don't limit yourself to just NYC. You're really close to many other great places to visit. and since you have two whole months, get out and see the whole north eastern seaboard if you can - places like Wash DC, Boston, Philly, Boston, and also a side trip to Niagara Falls (up by Buffalo) if you can

all the best,

R

7. lionel

lionel

Sep 3, 2003
    Guadeloupe - FWI
    Thx Ed, you're very Helpful , I'll check the webpage once it'll work. and sure, Guides are an excellent way to discover a city, I'll try to find some before I leave.

@Mike : it's gonna be hard, you may know that we all live absolutely nude in the Caribean ! :D ;)

8. lionel

lionel

Sep 3, 2003
    Guadeloupe - FWI
    thx for your advice R ! I will visit some other cities too, I'm sure that there's tons of things to see (and tons of music shop to visit :D ).

9. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I think you need to be a tourist for a few weeks. Everyone needs to be a tourist sometimes. See the sights, go to a show and eat at an interesting looking restaurant (please don't limit yourself to the big tourist spots. Check out downtown manhattan and brooklyn, too). Someone else already mentioned the Jazz clubs... those come highyl recommended.

Check out newyork.craigslist.com for gigs. Theres bound to be something there.

If you're going to be there in the summer, there might be an NYC GTG... so look for it!

Eh... its a slow night and my brain seems to be fried... maybe I'll be back with some more suggestions. you should definately post something when you get here, because theres a lot of TBers in the city who might want to jam or something.

10. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Man!!! The REAL question is what not to do!, there is ALWAYS a million things going on! I just LOVE this city!

11. lionel

lionel

Sep 3, 2003
    Guadeloupe - FWI
    great link, thanks man . the classified ad section should help me (just to see what sort of musicians are usually needed)

you're right on the fact that I must be a tourist for a while to discover the city (anyway I'm sure that I'll look like a tourist even I wouldn't want to :D )... Ok, I 'll try not to wear my hawaian shirt and my camera around my neck :p

I would be glad to meet you guys ! and even more to jam ! I also think that meeting local people is a great way to "understand" a place

Will do ! :smug:

Thanks for your imput lamborghini98 :cool: :cool:

It's exactly because I heard this sentence hundred times that I'm so curious about that city ! :smug:

Any other advices ?

12. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Hit all the jazz clubs you can. I recommend Iridium and the Blue NOte (these are fancy and expensive though...but ALWAYS great musicians). Jazz Detour is free (well you need to buy a drink!) and always good music there. As others suggested check out craiglist. Also check Citisearch for events. If you want to hit the stores Rudy's on 48th street is the place to go (great gear). Check out bars on the village (Bleeker st. is the place to go at nights...and yes, there is always a band playing somewhere around there. Just a few suggestions. You can contact me if you like, when you come.

PS> On a Sat..DON'T miss the Brooklyn brewery free tour! Its fun and cheap.

13. lionel

lionel

Sep 3, 2003
    Guadeloupe - FWI
    Oh yes that is my reason #1 to visit new york ! thank you all for the club names it will be a big help once I'll be there

I saw on a website that some guyz organise "jazz-tour" . In a night we can visit several club with a local jazz fan . Do you think that It could be a good way to discover the city by night or just a "tourist trap" ? It could be a great shortcut . any experiences/advices about that kind of tour ?

very kind offer :cool: . I'll send you a Pm at this time.

14. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Lionel,

Check this link often as it pprovides one of the best entertainment guides in the city http://www.villagevoice.com/ (yes...of course it includes MUSIC!).

If you like artsy stuff besides music YOU MUST ABSOLUTELY VISIT

The Metropolitan Museum of Art (you'll dig their musical instrument collection among many other fantastic collections)
    The MoMA

I am a cellular and molecular biologist by training so I also really enjoy visiting the American Museum of Natural History every now and then.

15. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Plan a Mini GTG !

16. lionel

lionel

Sep 3, 2003
    Guadeloupe - FWI
    Great weblink Diego ! thanks to it and Ed's I've found dozen of jazzclubs . will 2 month be enough to visit them all ?:p

And I won't miss the opportunity to visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art (I heard about it in the past . It seems to be one of the finest Art related museum in the world !)

I'm confident in your judgement about the American Museum of Natural History, I 'm very interested in Human History in general so I think I'll stop by too.

another question (I promise I'll stop just after that one :D )

Anyone can recommand a good teacher ? Even I play bass professionnally (restaurants, clubs, resorts, cruises boats, locals festivals, private party etc...) I always feel the need to learn something new.

It would be great to meet an old experienced pro and to learn from him.

would be great too :cool: , as soon as I'll get the exact dates of my trip I'll post an ad here !

thanks all for your input .

17. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Lionel.-

Check out the web site sof the big jazz clubs (Iridium, Blue Note, Birdland...etc.) and find out who will be touring. Usually you can approach the pros relatively easily and ask lots of questions...and who knows maybe hook up a lesson or two.

FYI. The Yellowjackets will be playing at Iridium the 2nd week of June. You can meet Jimmy Haslip then!

18. lionel

lionel

Sep 3, 2003
    Guadeloupe - FWI
    Wow I had a look on the Blue note and Birdland's website !

Chick Corea, Eddy Gomez, ron carter, Amhad Jamal etc.. Unbelievable ! I think I'm going to love that trip .

You can be sure that I'll be there ! I love that band, and Jimmy's playing is amazing, I won't miss the oppotunity to see it by myself .

Thanks Diego, for all thoses precious infos !;)