2 months later, my new GK 1001RB-II is dead...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by crazyphil, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Well, I'm screwed.

About 2-3 months ago I flew up to Miami to buy a reliable, powerful, and light bass head. I decided on the 1001RB-II being under the impresion that the problems experienced by users of the 1001RB were fixed.

I mounted it into my SKB 6U rack, plugged it into my Furman, and away we went. Yesterday I come home and fire up the rig; nothing. For no reason whatsoever, the head is dead. It was not moved, touched, or hit. It was just another day of practicing by myself listening to mp3's on my computer (it's very difficult to find a good band here on the island).

I don't know what to do...The tuner out works, the direct out works as well, but nothing goes to the speakers. I brought it over to my buddy's and we tried everything; different cabs, 3 basses, both speakon and TRS connectors. WE opened it up and just took a peak inside. Everything seems securely attached and nothing is burnt.

Warranty service is going to be expensive, I know it. To ship anything off island costs an arm and a leg and this is why I wanted a RELIABLE head. Obviously I made the wrong choice. Luckily I still have my Peavey Basic 112 Combo at my friend's house so I can play through that...People laugh at Peavey, but it's never let me down.

I have no choice but to recommend against anyone buying GK heads...
  2. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    sorry to hear that, i know how it feels not being able to get a good range of reliable equipment in your area.
    Have you called GK yet to see if you can work out a deal with them?
    Let us know how it works out for you.
  3. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Fellow GK user here. I've used a number of GK heads for many years with no problem. I've heard the horror stories though.

Try contacting GK by phone and see if they can help diagnose the problem (in my experience, if you email them, it will take days before a response comes back). I think that GK knows that they've somewhat of a bad rep lately, and they're trying to overcome that. They may go out of their way to help you.

Also, I believe that there is a senior GK manager/tech person who is a TB member, I've forgotten his name. If you do a search of Gallien Krueger in this forum you may come upon his posts. You could then PM him.

4. i hate to say this but because you opened it up, you may have voided any warranty you had ..... companies put a piece of tape or a small sticker across one of the seams on the inside of electronic equipment to indicate whether the unit's been opened (the sticker/tape rips in half when the unit is opened)

i'm hoping for your sake that you didn't defeat the 'tamper tape' but you might be more screwed than you thought originally ..... that would royally suck :(

good luck with that man
  5. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Man, I'm sorry that discourages you from GK. I find GK has the best tone and has an excellent reputation for being reliable. The original 1000RB was the head that had issues. GK will be more than glad to rectify the situation. Once Dan Elliot gets ahold of this, he'll be happier than Michael Jackson in an orphanage to help you.

Peavey rules. Don't be ashamed.

6. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Thanks xcental, it was Dan Elliot's name that I couldn't remember. I've read his posts, and he's very customer service oriented.
  7. There was no safety tape; I made sure of that. All it says in the manual is that there are no serviceable parts inside.

Josh: There are no authorized service centers here. Of course, there are guys that "know about amps" and such but I'm not going to void my warranty by letting them touch it.

I opened it to look for anything that may have come loose. To my surprise, the amp seems to be built very well...everything seemed secure, neat, clean, and just seemed "solid".

For some reason I'm not even angry..just bummed..I'll PM the rep..thanks
  8. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Astoria, Oregon
    I ahd two of them crap out on me. If you go GK get the 800rb...I hardly ever hear of them not working.

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    Crazy Phil, check your PMs for the Dan Elliot Bat Phone (Formerly the Tripster Bat Phone)
  10. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I have to agree with the general consensus. My GK head is over a year old with no problem besides the slightly messed up input jack that is entirely my fault. Though GK customer service is impeccable and they are usually VERY helpful if you have a problem.

Just my $0.02 supporting GK.
  11. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii

I hear you. A band mate dropped my 800rb on a concrete loading dock back in 1991, and it kept on working just fine for years with no visit to the repair shop. I sold it earlier this year and it was still working.
  12. Arthur Poon

Arthur Poon

Jul 13, 2003
    I've owned a few G-K heads over the years. I did have a 400RB-II that was bad right out of the box, G-K shipped a replacement directly to me once my retailer called them-very cool! All the other G-K stuff I own have been ultra-reliable. Sorry to hear you're having troubles. Call G-K and ask for Alvin at ext. #127, he's a very helpful guy.

I hope they can help you out, I know how you feel:

I sent my 2000RB(probably the most bullet-proof amp I've owned) in for service the first of this year after I screwed it up. G-K was in the process of moving at the time, so it took quite a while to get the head back. Unfortunately after spending $200.00+, the amp still has a problem-one of the variable speed fans runs continously. I did'nt notice this for a few months, (the head was rackmounted once it arrived at my house in the wintertime, I did'nt notice the fan problem until about last June on an outdoor gig). G-K acted as they would'nt warranty the repair(blown power transistors,etc) and that I probably had faulty fan circuit. You'd think G-K's repair dept would've noticed the fan problem when they ran the head through it's paces after they finished the repair! Luckily, I have my rackmounted setup to fall back on. I'm still a little pissed at G-K, the 2000RB is boxed up but I don't feel like paying them again for something I feel they should've detected the first go round!:mad:

There, I feel much better after venting!

I sincerely hope they treat you better, good luck!
  13. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    I had the 700RB for a couple years and I liked it very much but I too had the dreaded solder problems. I didnt contact GK but had my local amp tech look into it and he fixed it for 35.00

Seems it was the solder joints from the PCB to some of the pots were the culpret. I did sell it after the fix though since I went to a Pre/Poweramp setup and got used to the extra headroom. It was a great amp though.

"happier than Michael Jackson in an orphanage" Hmmmm....
  14. What is the voltage in the Cayman Islands? When you had it open, did you happen to check the fuse? I have an idea as to what might be happening and will check into it tomorrow.
  15. Same voltage as in North America. 110 volts. The Furman has a voltage indicater and it is pretty stable at 110-112.

I brought my computer and radio from Canada, and everyone on the island flies to Miami to do shopping on a regular basis, most of the time bringing back electronics. Definitely not a voltage issue.

I didn't take the fuse out but I did get a good look at it under a bright light and it is not blown. I only saw the one small fuse.
  16. Actually 120v is the standard..I checked my Furman and it's at 120.
  17. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    It doesn't sound like a power / fuse problem to me. He said the tuner out and DI's work, and nothing gets to the speakers. So it sounds like it still powers up? Or does it?

If so, it sounds like a failure at the output stage that could be easily fixed with a soldering iron.
  18. I've spoken to Mr. Elliott and a new output board is on it's way according to him. I've taken out the original one already, leaving all original wires still connected as a reference, and inspected the board closely. There appear to be no loose wires, no soldering problems, and no burnt diodes or capacitors. The layout of the board is very clean and simple. I'm hoping the issue is not with the Toroidal Transformer.
  19. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    Keep us informed!

Best of luck.
  20. floydman

floydman Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2002
    southeast CT
    One of my school's amps is a GK combo. It too had trouble not long after they bought it. Just had it fixed and it turned out among the problems was it needed some resoldering. I don't think I'm the first person to mention soldering problems in this thread, this might be something you want to check out.