1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2" nut for Squier

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JazzMarius, Apr 10, 2009.

1. hy guys. i just hit a Squier Precision Special 5 and i really want to change the nut. it's kind of bottomed and it's like plastic ( or so ) but i can't find a slotted one. i never sloted one and it's hard cause i don't have tools and i can't afford them right now.

so, anyone knows how to get a 2" ( 2.008 ", 51 mm to be precise) nut slotted? i believe that is exact the same as the one from the Squier Deluxe Jazz 5.

please help me! graphtech or something that would give me more sustain that my dead nut ?

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

"Bottomed"? If that means the slots are cut too low, you can raise them by using baking soda and super glue - many discussions about this on TB.

OTOH, if you need a nut installed and "slotted", meaning having the slots cut to proper depth, any competent luthier can do it.

Can you be a bit more specific about the problem?

3. well...the strings are almost touching the fretboard. and the material seems to be plastic. i am upgrading it with MIA electronics and some pickups, strings and some tuners ( if i find some... ) and i want a good nut. this one, kind of mutes the notes ( maybe be the bridge too , but that one, a lil bit further ). some graphtec or maybe a brass one ( if i can find )

4. bump

5. Hey there tbers!

So, this bass has been my battle horse for the last 4 years and it is great. I found some great Sadowsky-s Humcanceling, hipshot HB7, upgraded the electronics (CTS, orange drop) and shielded the bass. Just sings and growls and boy those DR Blacks sound outrageous!

So the reason i am rescueing this is because i really need a nut. I have no money for a luthier and i can't find a competent one either.
    This one is some cheap plastic and it has marks from the strings and the slots are flopy (the strings inside them are). I really want to change that.

Anyone changed it on some Squiers? Like i said, i believe the DJ5 is pretty much the same bass.

Maybe someone that makes them online? I really dont know.
    Thank you very much!

6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

You can buy nut material at Stew-Mac online and make your own. Much more cost effective.

7. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    I'm afraid it's not the nut which causes dead notes. In most cases it's the neck which causes the problem. Dead notes often occur on the G-string, around frets 5, 6 and 7. Adding some weight to the headstock may cure the problem. If the strings aren't rattling against the first fret, your nut may be ok.

8. Well, no dead notes what so ever. The thing I said back in 2009 is that the sustain is affected. I know what a dead note means and what a nut does to the bass. It works OK tough but it's time for a change. It's not unnecessary tunning, it's an upgrade.

Since there is so much love in here for the DJV I thought that someone must have changed it's nut.

Pilgrim - I really want that, but that's not an option right now. Expensive shipping over seas and not to mention Customs.

If some moderator thinks this must go in the DJV megathread, that's fine with me, but I just think this might be helpful for someone sometime.

Thanks guys/gals