Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2-ohm--vs--four-ohm--vs--eight-ohm?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chris Brodowski, Jul 23, 2002.

1. I-searched-for-the-answer-to-my-question,but-since-my-spacebar-has-decided-to-die,it's-been-hard.

my-question-is:What-are-the-advantages-and-disadvantages-of-having-amplifiers-and-cabinets-with-these-different-resistance-capabilities?

Sorry-for-being-an-amp-newbie.:confused:

2. SixString

SixString

Jul 20, 2002
    good question i'd also like to know also if a bass map cna handle 400wats at 8 ohms does that mean a head that piuts out 400at 4ohms will work well?

3. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Hi Chris, resistance is only represented by the speakers. The advantages of 4 ohms over 8 is that more wattage can be drawn from the amp. Same as with 2 ohm over 4. The disadvantage depending on the amplifier is that 4 ohm and 2 ohm cabinets offer less speaker combonations than with 8 ohm cabs. The smaller the number the harder your amp is going to work. For example 8 ohms is easier on the amp than 4 ohms, and 4 ohms is easier than 2. Check what the minimum load is on your amp; should say on the back. Hope that helped. :)
    8 ohm + 8 ohm =4 ohm
    4 ohm + 4 ohm =2 ohm
    4 ohm + 8 ohm =2.6 ohm

Six string, it will work, but instead of 400 watts you'll be only getting around 250 watts.

4. much-appreciated,fast-slapper.:) :p

In-the-distant-future:

MTD-Kingston-5
    Ampeg-SVT-PRO-head

(a-cheap-costing-but-not-sounding-setup0

5. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    what-about-a-new-keyboard?
    man-that-sucks-that-your-spacebar-went-out-man-it must-really-annoy-you-to-type-like-this-well-if-you-get-too-annoyed-by-it.
    You-can-always-type_like_this_it_looks_better :D

sorry bout your keyboard.. but it sounds like a good settup.. where can i get avatar cabs anyway?