2 ohms?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JrileyEADG, Mar 4, 2010.

1. I was considering a mesa big block 750 to replace my ampeg
    b4r. The impendance is 750watts at 2ohms. What kind of speaker cabinet can I run 2 ohms into? I currently have a GK4x12 neo. Would that work?

2. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    the MINIMUM impedance will push a 750W load, a 4 ohm will probably push out 400W, an 8 ohm load will probably push out 200W...

...2x4 ohm cabs, 4x8 ohm cabs...

3. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

The amp will accept down to a 2 ohm load, it will also be fine with a 4 ohm or 8ohm load (called the speaker cab).

4. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    You don't "run two ohms" into the cab, the cab impedance (or ohms) determines the amount of wattage the head will put into that cab. your 4 ohm GK will work fine with that head, it just won't have quite as much power as it would with 2 ohms. I'd guess around 2/3rds of it's 750 watts, or around 500 or so.

5. thank you!!! i must look like an idiot lol:bag:

6. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    "Idiot" is relative around here, besides, for all I know you can play your arse off. :cool:

7. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

You're not the first to not know how it works, this month even. ;)

8. As an aside, I run an 8 Ohm cab plus a 4 Ohm cab into a Yamaha BBT500H for a 2.6 Ohm load; Yamaha recommended a 2 Ohm load for that head. You have the ability to run four 8 Ohm cabs, or two 4 Ohm cabs, or one 4 Ohm cab for the drummer and you and two 8 Ohm cabs for the crowd. Each of those combinations presents around 2 Ohms to your Mesa. That's a lot of speaker cones moving air!

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021