2 open rack spaces and lookin for effects..

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Generican, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Generican

Aug 30, 2003
    Hampton, VA
    Just got my rig all together and it sounds good, but i left open 2 rack spaces planning on getting effects, but im absolutely clueless on what to put in there... Ive been looking at the Line 6 bass pod pro and the Behringer V-amp Bass
    But i wanted to hear some other peoples opinions...

What i got so far is Ampeg SVT-3 Pro, Ampeg BSE 410, and an Ampeg BSE 115 and i use a Fernandes Tremor 4 Deluxe.

My band plays Punk/reggae/rock/metal kind of thing, so im looking for something that has real versatility.

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    What kind of effects are you looking for?
    The TC Electronic G-Major offers some nice options at a reasonable price. I certainly wouldn't mind one in my rack. That would cover your delays, choruses, reverbs, etc. Then with that, I'd go with a Tubeworks Real Tube rackmount for overdrive. I REALLY love the pedal, and hope to switch over to the rackmount version soon.
    There are TONS of options out there.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I personally prefer to have all my effects as pedals on the floor. I did the same thing originally leaving two spaces available for a compressor, though I've decided I don't need one, so that's additional airflow to my head. And the other empty space will be filled by my Sennheiser wireless when I get the money to spend $450 on a good wireless system.
  4. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

5. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Too true. NOTHING would be better than that! With any of thier products, you can do no wrong! :D
  6. Generican

Aug 30, 2003
    Hampton, VA
    Does the G-major have a footswitch controller?
  7. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    The G-Major doesn't include a footswitch new, but most of them you find on the used market include the G-Minor midi switch. Check the classifieds on Harmony-Central or eBay. I've seen a bunch at both places lately.
  8. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Go with the Behringer FCB-1010 midi controller for the TC. It's cheap and works great.

And might I suggest a Boss VF-1 for the rack?
  9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Are you looking for any particular type of effects? I've found that alot of rackmount stuff is versatile, but often only versatile in certain ways, if that makes sense. The only one that I really liked was the TC Electronics G-Force, which is pretty expensive. But it is missing some key ingredients for bass players (envelop filters, synth stuff, etc.). Nobody has really made a good rackmount unit that has bassists in mind, in my opinion. But the G-Force is probably the one to get... unless you want to go nuts and spend $4000 on an Eventide.

I think the POD sucks. I would avoid it. The digital-ness of it seems to punch holes in your sound, and you will get lost in the mix.

If you do get some sort of rackmount unit, make sure it's got enough headroom to handle the bass. Many don't, and will distort on you no matter how you set them up.

You could always rackmount some pedals like I do. It's a pain in the butt sometimes, but if you are serious about your tone, it's the only way to go.
  10. i totally recomend the Alesis 3630 Compressor. it is a single space rack unit that you can easily find for under $100.