1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2 or 3-band stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Let It Fall, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Let It Fall

Let It Fall Banned

Oct 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I have never played a two band Ray, but am looking to order a bass soon and like the 2 band for the classic look and from what i hear is somewhat different. I rarely touch the mid on my previous stingray so I don't really feel I need it, although I understand there voiced different. I have always found the stingray had a somewhat boost in the high freq, around 12k maybe higher, and when I would try to roll off treble just to remove te extreme highs I would loose the highs I wanted to keep and couldn't find an inbetween. I hear the 2 band has less of these harsh highs naturally. I really wish I could get someone to compare both with a recording, I'd be willing to pay a little.

I usually on my three band use two settings

treble boosted alot, along with a slight bump in the lows, and then dig in, this gives me a agressive flea like sound.

Bass boosted slightly and everything flat, may roll off treble depending on how smooth I want the sound.

Should I go for the 2 band?

2. Is there a guitar center near you? They should have both, go in and play.

3. Let It Fall

Let It Fall Banned

Oct 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I live in between two, of all the years I haven't ever seen one I even live near the perfect bass bit they don't have any either.

4. Both the GC's near me have plenty of EBMMs. I dunno.

5. Let It Fall

Let It Fall Banned

Oct 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Well yea they got ernieballs but no 2-bands

6. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I have not seen any new 2 bands sitting in any GC since the early 90's. That may change soon with the Classic series StingRay coming out.

7. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    2 bands are special order, aren't they? You might see one at a GC used, but my guess is that is very unlikely.

8. Let It Fall

Let It Fall Banned

Oct 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Special order? Not really. I mean all ernieballs are special orders since they don't make a bass untill someone (even guitarcenter) orders one and to their exact order so there all special

9. dezspet

dezspet

Mar 21, 2007
    Hungary
    Well, don't buy the 2 band without trying it out, BUT I guess this is what you are looking for. I have both, actually my 3 band one is a fretless, where I can really take advantage of the mid boost/cut.
    2 bands have a bit different voicing, they are only boost EQs (!), but for me they have a better voiced high frequency.
    It is very difficult to compare them, because the fretless 3 band I have is from 93, while the 2 band is form 99, so there may be other differences as well.
    I used to have other fretted 3 bands, but they were not as good as my 2 band in terms of sound. This is very subjective, so take your time and find a 2 band SR in a guitar store, it's worht it to try it!

10. In Absentia

In Absentia

Jul 5, 2008
    I love my 3-band Stingray. That mid-control is too important to me to let go. I can change my tone from rotund, to hollow without adjusting my EQ (which is very important to me; my Titan has an awful lot of options).

11. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Actually Bass Central keeps a bunch of them in stock.

12. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1

I too, am frustrated by the absence of the 2 band StingRays from local dealers. Any more info or links to Classic series? When do they come out? :cool:

13. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
  14. Forgot to mention, I have a 3 band Ray and I love it. I'm very picky about tone characteristics and have a 6 band EQ on my head. I play in a hardcore band one day, and through the same rig, back up my friend's folk singing and acoustic guitar the next.

15. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Maybe its apples and oranges but I have a 1978 two band Stingray 4 string that sounds fantastic - I can dial in the lowest of lows when needed or crisp britghts if wanted and anything in between. I also have a three band 2008 Stingray 5 and its not nearly as flexible in the tone department. To me the 3 band sounds really compressed and mid rangey. I can't get the low lows or the high highs out of it that I get out of my 2 band. I much prefer the sound of my 2 band ray and have contemplated buying a 2 band amp to put in my 3 band ray.

16. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    IMO the 2 band is much more vintage and organic sounding.

The 3 bands are always a little bit too compressed and thin sounding to me.

Not saying any one is better than the other, depends on the application.

For me, I like the 2 band.

17. ghostjs

ghostjs

Aug 14, 2008
    ghostjs
    Unofficially Endorsing: D'Addario, Lakland
    ive never personally seen a 2 band eq stingray in my life.. :(

18. Let It Fall

Let It Fall Banned

Oct 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I would hate to buy the 2-band only to decide I like everything but the eq.

19. Doc Halo

Doc Halo Musician, heal thyself.

Oct 10, 2004
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Haven't seen a 2-band Stingray at the GC here in Nashville since forever, if at all. As I write, tho, there are a number of them at my local independent dealer. Hmm. . .

20. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    If you're looking for a 2 band Ray and having problems finding one you may want to look at a Stingray SUB bass. Ernie Ball doesn't make them anymore but you can pick them up used for between $400 and $600 and they are all 2 band eq. I have one and it sounds every bit as good as my other rays (even better than my 3 band ray). Only real difference between these and a regular ray is this has a dimple type finish and a goofy diamond plate pick guard. I like the finish, its great for gigging, very durable and you can pick up a normal pickguard for $50 or less just about anywhere if you're not into diamond plate. These are holding their value very good as well, so if you don't like it you can probably sell it for what you paid (that aint gonna happen with any store bought new stingrays).
    Here's a link for one on ebay (no I'm not pimping - its not mine) if it were a 5 string I'd be all over it.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/MUSIC-MAN-STING...QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item20adb61263