2 or 3 fingers?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Lowend4s, Dec 21, 2002.

1. Lowend4s

Jan 2, 2001
    I have always used 3 fingers on my right hand, it came naturally. My bass teacher tells me not to do this. Is there any actual reason why this is bad and I shouldnt do this?
  2. thageeze

thageeze Guest

Aug 4, 2002
    Niceville, Florida
    as long as you are fingering to the right rhythm of the song then it's not a bad thing to do, but i can see a problem if you have created a habit of playing triplets or something like that where therez a dead spot between the time you pluck with your ring finger and your index finger
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Use all of 'em. All 10, if you have more than 10, use more than 10.

Note: My advice is based on what I think is cool.
  4. as long as you're playing your parts correctly what's it matter? You do want to avoid starting bad habits, but Billy Sheehan, and Victor Wooten (just to name a couple) use all of their fingers for plucking.
  5. Misanthrope

Feb 7, 2002
    i dont know how many fingers u can use.. but use em as it is the most comfortable.. also pattitucci - 2 finger player uses 3 when it`s comfortable.. i use 2, sometimes 3, sometimes 4... and when it`s needed i am gonna use 20 ;) :D
  6. i play fingerstyle with two finger, but i use my ringfinger to do little triplet things and stuff.
  7. Smithplayer

Smithplayer Guest

I personally think you should keep using three fingers inless you're playing what you shouldn't. Play what's comfortable to you and stick with it. If you're messing up with three fingers and really like using 3 just work on it untill you get it right. It also may depend on what music your playing. My brother currently uses 2 but he says he's trying to get used to 3 and 4 since he plays a faster paced tempo. I usually use 2 but if i need to, I'll use three.
  8. I use three most to the time but two when comfortable and sometimes I try for all four, because that would be cool to be able to do well.

Tell your teacher that I, Jamie Rafeal, said "The three fingered technic is perfectly acceptable, and to tell someone that they should not play that way is wrong. For the only correct way to play an instrument is with your heart and two or three fingered makes little difference if you play with your heart."