Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 p-bass p-up basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jim primate, Nov 30, 2004.

1. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

does anyone have any info on basses w/ two p-style pickups in them? i'm curious as to how they sound. preferably info. on passive basses.

2. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Considering that I believe the P-bass to be a holy relic from which all other basses have descended and being nigh to perfection ;) I have wondered about the 2 pu P-basses myself. As far as I know the only companies that make them are BC Rich and Warwick though I think Fender at one time made one. I did some research and from the little info I could find gathered that they were not as loved as traditional P's. Something about the pu not being in the sweet spot.

3. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I briefly had one of those import Mockingbirds with the 2 p arrangement. It sounded really great. Like a P but with a little more presence...very "rock" sounding.

4. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Leland Sklar has a parts P-bass with two (Bartolini, Dimarzio? Can't remember.) pickups installed, as I recall, upside down: In other words, with the bass portion of the pickups installed closer to the bridge instead of the normal way. He's been using it since the 70s and it sounds just great. Why some manufacturer hasn't taken it upon himself to duplicate it I have no idea.

5. theres a certain bc rich model with two ps in it, mockingbird i believe?

6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Right on.
    I've been waiting for someone, to do a Sklar bass forever?
    I know Gibson did one.
    But no one has done a fender style bass?
    Come on Lakland!!!!!

7. funkaholic

funkaholic

Nov 30, 2004
    Istanbul TURKEY
    Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Alleva Coppolo Basses, Moollon Basses
    Alain Caron used to play a 6 string F Bass w/ 2 split coils

8. correct

9. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    my Buzzard has a P and a reverse-P - it's ultra-meaty! I've never tried it in passive mode, but it's got a pull-pot for it. Have to try that tomorrow...

mmmmm, meat.

10. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Gibson made a Sklar signature bass. I thought yamaha and or somebody else did as well.

11. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Banned

Nov 17, 2003
    California

Dingwall :bassist:

12. RoyQBiv

RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    I know Jackson made one up until fairly recently as part of their Concert Bass series.

13. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I have an '82 BC Rich Mockingbird and an '83 Fender Elite II. Neither is a garden variety 2 P pickup bass and only the Rich goes passive. The Elite's pickups (which are not stock P's and are sealed) and preamp were made special for that model, so the tone is unique to it. I really like this bass - though the pre can make it bright enough to make your eyes hurt, it can also get very warm and fat with an excellent punch. Very focused sound. Great bass IMO - grab one if you can before they are "discovered" and get out of control $$$.

[​IMG]

The Mockingbird has 2 DiMarzio's in the reverse P configuration that can be run passive or boosted. This bass sounds awesome either way.They have a pronounced midrange bump that I really like - gives them great presence and cut and they sound huge.

[​IMG]

IMO double P's are a great combination - I particularly like the reverse set up for a more meaty sound on the G string.

P.S. Leland Sklar's bass has EMG's.

14. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    ESP made a two P-bass p/u 'Precision'-shaped model a few years back which I believe became the 'Masayoshi Yama****a' signature model. Masayoshi is/was the bassist in that great Japanese rock band 'Loudness'..... :bassist:

15. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    I can't believe the system edited the name of the bassist in my last post!?!?!?!!!

How about if I rename him 'Masayoshi Yamacrapa'?!? :eyebrow: :rolleyes: :p

16. PhunkyElephant

PhunkyElephant

Oct 9, 2004
    Talk about paranoid, huh?! ;)

17. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Check out some of the Moody Blues live stuff,John Lodge,he
    plays a Fender Elite.

18. Hmmm.

I wonder if RondoMusic, home of the SX basses, would do one of these?

19. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I also remember a band from the late 80's early 90's called
    Poison. The Bass player Bobby Dall had alot of custom made
    B.C. Rich warlock basses with the Double "P" set up. :)