2 P pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bass2020, Apr 11, 2002.

1. bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    What do basses with 2 P pickups sound like?
  2. jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I recently built a double P-Bass pickup instrument for a customer. Swamp Ash body with a maple/maple neck. Dincan "Hot" in the standard spot and a Duncan "Quarter Pounder" in he bridge.

The P-Bass pickup in the bridge spot sounds a lot different than in the standard spot. Kinda somewhere between a P-Bass and a Jazz bridge pickup. Very punchy without a lot of booming low end. IMHO the second pickup adds a lot of tone options, but not necessarily typical P-Bass type tones.
  3. I recently saw Billy Cobham touring with the Sectrum band. He had Leland Sklar on bass. Leland had two "P" pickups in his bass and it sounded great. very nice punch and bottom. It was a great show. I recommend checking it out if they are coming to your town.
  4. My old SD Curlee has two P bass pups, but the bridge set is reversed. It remains the best sounding bass I've ever owned. Full bodied and punchy, but not too boomy. I typically run the bidge pickup open and the neck rolled just slightly back.

It's the only one I've seen like it.
  5. ever try a B.C. Rich bass?? they use dual P pickups... with both turned up would be good thrash type stuff cuz they souned way harsh ... but soloed each sounded like a dream... if i'd a had the money i woul dhave bought it on the spot