1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

(2) Peavey Subcompact 15" Subs vs. (1) Yorkville Unity UCS1 15" Sub

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by MCB 5150, Apr 29, 2016.

1. MCB 5150

MCB 5150 Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Rockford, IL
    I'm currently running 2 subs -- Peavey Subcompact 15s, rated 400w program/200w continuous, powered by a QSC PLX3002 in stereo @ 550w per channel (8 ohms).

I'm thinking of replacing the two Peaveys with one Yorkville Unity USC1 15" sub, rated 1200w program/???? continuous. I'll use the same QSC PLX3002, but run it bridged to get 1800 watts for the 8 ohm load.

My question is this: How much will the higher quality single Yorkville outperform the two lower quality Peaveys? Blow the Peaveys out of the water? Just a small difference?

2. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Well, my older Yorky LS800P would blow them out of the water.. 1500w ..had 2,left the 2nd at home most of the time.
    So I would say yes.. :)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  3. Barisaxman

Barisaxman Gold Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    You're not going to gain a whole lot with a single horn-loaded sub, and you may lose some SPL if you're already coupling the two subs you have. A rig I built several years back utilized 6 of the horn loaded subs, driven from a QSC PL6 2.0 in stereo and it would get up and go. Horn loaded subs are generally a little underwhelming in singles and IME don't really get up and go until you start working with at least two if not three per side. Then the (usually) more efficient designs start to pay off.

With THE UCS1, you want to be careful with power, if you go that way and bridge your amp into a single you will easily be able to destroy the voice coil with that much power on tap. Use your ears and set limiters if possible. If you're looking to upgrade, it's a great choice but i'd be saving for 4 of them a minimum, otherwise sell your amp and look for a good powered single 18, like the QSC KW181.

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    fwiw - I landed another kw-181 recently. this one I bought used from ebay seller fplogistics. Just over a grand landed. it is perfect... for single 18 direct radiating subs, the kw-181 is hard to beat.

it is designed to handle dj as well as performance. So they will go pretty low. To get the highest spl, I start rolling them off about 50, gently. Then a brick wall hpf at 40 - unless I actually need to go deeper... which I almost never do...

5. MCB 5150

MCB 5150 Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Rockford, IL
    Thanks for your input! In your opinion, would I be better off running my amp bridged into the 2 Peaveys in parallel? Would the additional headroom help?

6. Barisaxman

Barisaxman Gold Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Since you're already over program rating on those subs, I wouldn't. You're more likely to blow speakers than gain actual headroom. If you're looking for more sub-frequency content in your mix, you're really stuck with more boxes as you're already well matches with the gear you have. A band I was in ran a pair of those Peavey's (18 inch version) for a couple years...they did well to fill the low end but definitely are not a design that will make you say "wow".

One other option if you don't mind the size is the Yorkville LS800/LS808. It's a hybrid design that will get VERY loud but not go quite as low as the UCS-1. You can make a lot of noise with a single box, and I've used plenty of rigs that used the powered version (LS800P) with 1 per side and a capable top that sounded very good.