Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 pedals??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by johans, Jul 7, 2005.

1. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    hi guys

just a quick qn ..

i have seen people use 2 of the same pedals at the same time .. what's the use of it? for example he uses 2 Boss DS-1 distortion on the same setup, will it make the distortion thicker and better? is it useful?

i am thinking on my setup to set .. Boss ODB-3 and add it with Boss DS-1 .. what do you think?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The only way to find out is to try. Multiple overdrive/distortion type pedals together will usually give bad feedback, but the sounds can be uniqe and/or incredible. I would love to see mutiple delays with different settings to see what kind of sonic havoc that could produce.

3. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i think you will find that they dont use two of the same pedal at the same time, rather they have each one set to a specific sound. if you can afford to do it, it saves you bending over and twisting knobs on stage... for instance i heard something like the korn bassist had 5 boss syb-3s...

4. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I use 2 Drive pedals, however, as mentioned, I don't use them at the same time. I also have a wah, 2 envelope filters, a chorus, and a reverb. Phase is on the way... Thinking of adding another couple of envelope filters and a synth at some point. Possibly a Delay, too.

I use EXH Hot Tubes for mild crunchy overdrive, and an EXH Russian Big Muff Pi for fuzz/distortion. If I use them at the same time, I get lots of fuzz, and not much else.

Most people have multiple types of the same pedal for tonal range. Different OD's and Distortions sound different from each other, as you know from using the ODB-3 and DS-1.

I often use the other pedals in conjunction with one another. My Chorus pedal is one and stays on. My Reverb is on, and stays on. If I use compression or EQ, those stay on most of the time. I would leave these one while using phase, wah, filters and/or OD.

There are a couple of simple rules to using effects effectively:
    1) If you like it, GO FOR IT!!!
    2) If your band likes it, GO FOR IT!!!

5. johans

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    they actually used it at the same time :)

i have a guitarist friend that uses all these at the same time .. ds-1, mt-2 metal zone, ibanez ts9 tube screamer, ibanez ts-9DX ... :p

sure a heavy distortion that he gets ..

6. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    I'd love to be in his band... ;)

7. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    At one point I had a Manual Wah, Auto-Wah, Envelope filter, and 2 distortions. I got rid of a Distortion though. I want either another ODB-3, or an original Marshall Guv'Nor.

PS. If anyone has any willing to sell, check my post in the Wanted forum.

8. johans

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    lol .. :p
    yeah!

9. johans

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    guys..

i went to guitar center this afternoon and took a long test drive :p

i took 2 bass from the floor .. a cheapo fender squier p-bass and a musicman stingray 4 ..

on the bass panel:
    i tried Boss (odb3, geb7) and Digitech (bass driver, digiverb)

this is what i notice as i compare the ODB-3 and Digitech Bass Driver ...

ODB-3 has much higher signal volume, it's really loud, its solid, it doesnt sound fuzzy or distort too much .. as i said .. a solid support low end .. quite hard to dial a little fuzzy tone our of it, if i want a really mean distortion, i can hardly get it out from this box

Digitech Bass Driver .. lesser signal strength, easily fuzzY! it doesnt sound as punchy and loud as the Boss but this has the lean mean distortion overdrive sound, and i can dial it easily ..

which one do you think i should go :p any other side thoughts?