SOLD 2 Pedulla Interceptors, rare matched pair 1984 (fretted/fretless)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by srbbass, Dec 31, 2019.

1. srbbass

srbbass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Connecticut
    Price:
    $3800
    Strings:
    Fretless:
    • Y
    EDITED 6/29/2020: The fretted bass has been sold.

EDITED: I am now willing to entertain offers on each INDIVIDUAL BASS.

I am letting go of some long-time family members. I am the original owner of these beautiful Pedulla Interceptor basses, both purchased in 1984. The fretless is Serial #0842 and her fretted twin is serial #0843. The Interceptor was a fairly rare variant of the Buzz basses made for only a few years in the mid-1980's. They have a lovely walnut/maple body with natural finish and are neck-through design.

I find myself only playing 5 string basses now and haven't had either of these ladies out of the house in at least 15 years so it's time to find someone who would use and appreciate them more than I am able to.

These are are all original, no modifications or repairs that I remember. I would say they are in good cosmetic condition and very good to excellent playing condition. The necks of both instruments are very true and have excellent camber. There are no low or uneven spots on either so no fret buzz at all, even with low action.

While the bodies have some obvious wear and tear, the fretless neck is still quite smooth and solid with only surface wear. Pedulla used a very hard clear coating on the neck that gives a great warm, growly sound. The fretless body also has some discoloration in the finish from an old strap that deteriorated while in the case. The fretted neck is only just beginning to show some fret wear on frets 3-5 as shown in the photos. Please see the detailed photos I have provided...I am trying to be very accurate in representing the condition of these instruments. Also feel free to ask for more detail/photos.
    • Weight: 8.4 lbs
    • String Spacing at bridge: 0.75"in / 19mm
    • String Spacing at nut: 1.25" center of E to center of G string
    • Scale: 34"
    • Bartolini Pickups in P-J configuration with active EQ and indicator light
    • Pickup Volumes, Pickup Blend and Active EQ knobs
    • 24-fret design
    • Original Schaller hardware
    • 1 Original Pedulla Case (kind of beat up) and 1 Fender Style case

Here's a little demo of the fretted sister:

I am in the market for a high-end 5 string fretless (e.g. F-Bass, Pedulla, Warwick Masterbuilt) so would consider trades +/- cash. Not really interested in single cuts (Ok maybe a Stradi Symphony).

Here are the pics. Image names starting with 0842 are of the fretless and 0843 are the fretted bass. Thanks for looking and Happy New Year!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  2. Outstanding!

3. Gusdfunk

Gusdfunk

Aug 10, 2017
    Bay Area
    A piece of history right here! These should be kept as a set for sure. And listing that can truly describe itself as "rare!" (An over-used term).
    Check out the "INT" (for Interceptor) on the headstock! If anyone out there is wondering/doublful about the sound of these early fretlesses... just check out Mark Egan 1981 Buzz bass on the Arcadia (so red the rose) album.
    Basses - Mark Egan

4. OldSchool50

OldSchool50 OldSchool50 Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2013
    Connecticut
    HOw did all these end up in CT? Here's mine.
    These are very sweet basses. Any buyer will be doubly impressed with this pair.
    The pre-amp on mine started misbehaving 6 years ago and Mike Pedulla installed the exact preamp. Just love this bass.
    GLWTS

interceptor.jpeg

PhillipHolbrook and srbbass like this.
  5. bent

bent

Mar 7, 2004
    Green Bay, WI
    Wow, super cool!! I've got one that I had refinished by Michael Dolan that's got a Kahler trem on it. I hope you are able to keep the siblings together!

6. Pedullist

Pedullist

Oct 31, 2016
    Except that was his fretless pawnshop flower Fender. :) And yes, I bought a Pedulla because of that sound to discover that 30 years later. Oh well, it did sound nice also.

TN WOODMAN and srbbass like this.
  7. Gusdfunk

Gusdfunk

Aug 10, 2017
    Bay Area
    We're both right: according to Mark's website, he mentions playing the Pedulla on the Arcadia album; and the Fender on the (song) So Red the Rose.

PhillipHolbrook and srbbass like this.
  8. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    New England
    Those are beautiful. I am a former Interceptor owner... only mine was absolutely trashed when I got it (for $450) and could be considered usable when I traded it (for $750) many many years ago.

srbbass and PhillipHolbrook like this.
  9. srbbass

srbbass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Connecticut
    Hey all, I've added a little demo of the fretted sister for a couple of you who have asked. Here it is for anyone interested.

punchdrunk and OldSchool50 like this.
  10. frootbooty

frootbooty Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Sent a Pm on the fretted. I miss having a Pedulla.

11. mbluto

mbluto Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2002
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    PM sent

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021