Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 Pickup Basses, Anyone Else Do This?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Golden Boy, Jan 13, 2004.

1. My two main basses are a G&L L2000, and a '65 Fender Jazz. Both are two pickup basses, but the majority of the time I only use the neck pickup and only use both pickups very sparingly. Whenever I've mentioned this to people I get a "Are you Stooopid?" look, and as much of that look as you can get over the internet. Am I one of the very few who does this?

I also suck most of the mids out of the EQ's of the bass amps I run through. It always sounds full enough both live and in recordings, but it's another thing I don't see a lot of people doing.

2. sambass

sambass

Apr 15, 2003
    MA
    i have a warwick thumb 5 B.O. and a lot of the time i solo the neck PU. the bridge one is really nasaly and mid range tastic, which i dont dig all to much, but it does come in handy at times. just cause you have both doesnt mean you are obliged to use both of them. its just another option

3. Well, I have fairly powerful dual MM style humbuckers that can almost be too punchy at times, so yeah, I sometimes solo my neck pickup to get some really big booty. And if I want really buttery lows, i'll play higher up on the neck.

And sometimes I'll solo the bridge p'up for punch or to help with faking a pick sound.

As far as the EQ, I too tend to drop some of the mid ranges, especially upper mids. But thats mostly due to the guitar player filling up that frequency range.

But in the end, it really all boils down to "What does the music need?" If it sounds right, it probably is. Ya know?

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Its not my style, but if it makes you happy then there is nothing wrong with it.

5. I usually run both pickups at full blow, mainly because they are weak pickups, and even i usually run both to cancel the extrmem hum i get all the time. i do solo the bridge when i fool around pretending to be good at fusion like Jaco (who i believe also solo'd his bridge pickup) but i only don't because like i said before, the hum of doom. as far as the amp eq goes, i set mine like yours, i think a lot of people do, when i play live though, i boost the low mids for cutting through, although i am not fond of the sound, compared to that of mids cut with bass and treble boosted, at least the people can hear me! well, i better just hit post before i get this thread sent to the amps forum!
    Charlie

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I almost never use the bridge pickup on my Spector.

Too small sounding. It's all about the neck pickup.

7. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    I play P or P/J basses and also use mostly P pickup, with just a little bridge J added as if it were a high mid EQ knob.

IMHO the J bridge pickup soloed is the most overused bass sound there is, and the absolute worst most horrible nasaly tone a bass is capable of producing.

The sound is bad enough on it's own, but to make matters worse soloing the bridge pickup turns your bass into a one-trick pony. Because to get a usable tone, you need to crank up so much low end and scoop out so much mid that your tone becomes garbage as soon as you try to use your other pickup or pluck anywhere but directly in front of the bridge. No thank you, I like having 2 different pickup sounds and being able to pick in 3 different locations for tonal variations.

8. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I do just the opposite, well not exactly, but I usually use most of the bridge pickup and a little bit if any of the neck pickup. I use the neck pickup solo if I'm trying to get a p-bass sound out of my bass for a certain sound. Just cause I feel like I can cut through the mix slightly better this way.

9. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    With P/J's I mostly use the neck pickup. Only my Godin plays really well on the bridge pickup but I still mostly play the neck pickup on that bass. Just pick your tone and enjoy yourself.

The Internet isn't real. It only looks that way.

10. im not a fan of the bridge pickup.

unless as previously stated your looking for a nasaly, harsh, midrange, plectrum sound, then i dont use the bridge at all, just solo neck pickup.

if people are telling you your stupid for soloing a pickup they must have some really strange pyschological problem. make sure you tell them that too.

as someone once said "its all about the neck pickup" :D

11. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Depends on the bass. On my bongo, I lean on the neck pickup quite a bit. I find a pup in the "sweetspot" ie. stingray, is optimal.

12. I soloed the neck p-up for one of our songs. I never thought I would, but I liked the bassy sound it gave me. I rarely use the bridge solo either, too nasal most of the time. I'm a both full kinda guy. But I can see the utility in both. I guess it's just because many people nowadays love the growl of the back p-up. To each his own.

13. Armchair Thief

Armchair Thief Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Funny that, I rarely solo the neck pickups on my basses. A bit too mooshy for my tastes. It's either solo bridge, or both full on. But then again, I love the obnoxious twangy type of sound. :D

14. I also play 66 and 67 Fender Jazz Basses.

I prefer to run my volume and tone turned all the way up. This allows me to get more EQ from my Amp SVT400T or SVT Pro III.

I do, however, play up higher on the neck to achieve different tones for ballads, etc....

YMMV.

[​IMG]
    Treena

15. depends on the genre and song for me

for fusion (jaco-ish stuff) its all about that bridge pup with tone about half way (and plucking close to bridge)

for swing i play both pups all the way and pluck inbetween the two pups

for ballads and stuff i solo the neck pup and pluck close to the neck

for rock its both all the way and tone half way

slap both all the way tone all the way

etc etc etc

16. Use whatever pickup settings you need to achieve your sound. Personally I rarely use the neck pickup alone on my Jazz type basses because I prefer the sound of both pickups full on, occasionally leaning on the bridge pickup to cut through more. However, on my Rickenbacker I almost always choose the neck pickup alone. The bridge pickup just sounds too harsh and nasally.

17. I usually crank up both pickups on my jazz, or run the neck only. But thats because i love a deep growling sound. Not that annoying mid/treble sound the kids dig these days. I do the same on my explorer with its humbuckers. Although runing the bridge pickup for soloing with a wah sounds good.