1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2 pickups, 1 capacitor, no tone knob (wiring)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Nebula24, May 3, 2019.

1. Nebula24

Nebula24

Nov 23, 2017
    Norman, OK
    Just added a 2nd pickup to my epi eb0. Not sure if its due to both being single coil, using tapewound strings, just in built sound or picked middle install instead of bridge, but they sound 99% the same. Neck is reissue guild bisonic and middle is a surface mount gold foil. Just expected more difference based on them being very different designs.

Took out my tone knob as it didnt do much. Added a 3 way switch when adding pickup.

If i wire my old tone knobs capacitor onto 1 of the pickups wires it would make it sound different (less treble) right? Do i wire it ground or hot or either? Thinking of wiring it up to the neck bisonic.

Having fun with learning about wiring. Going to also try some cheap different style pickups too (humbucker, mm, lipstick) since i can swap out cavity pickup and keep the tone i like/know. Cheaper than buying a bronco or cheapo pawn shop bass to further my mod adventures (though its tempting too!) :)

Matt Liebenau likes this.
  2. gfen

gfen

Aug 21, 2014
    lehigh valley
    stayed at a holiday inn, once...
    You use it to jumper between hot and ground, add a resistor in-line before it to equal the value of your tone pot or lose it acts like the tone knob would be turned down.

Nebula24 likes this.
  3. Nebula24

Nebula24

Nov 23, 2017
    Norman, OK
    Thanks.

A bit more googlefu this morning and found what i was looking for: Mod Squad: Muddy sounding neck pickup?

Cap in hot to drop bass or ground for treble (like a normal tone pot). So i am doing a High pass or low pass filter but on bass instead of amp.

Also read about tbx and high pass/low pass pots but then i need room for the pot which is why i took out pot in first place but would give me more control. Or just add tone knob to 1 pickup. Space an issue unless can find microswitch, move output jack or enlarge cavity.

For now will play with adding capacitor since i have one laying around.

Learned I am going the most round about way to not have tone knobs :)

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  4. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    To wire the cap on the neck pickup only, you have to wire the pickups in series, and the cap in parallel with the first (neck) pickup.

Nebula24 likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021