1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2 pickups that don't match

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by funnyfingers, Nov 5, 2013.

1. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    I have an SGD-ND3 neck and an SGD-SW4 bridge. They both sound great, but because they are completely different designs, they don't match. The SW4 has much less output. There are several things I was thinking of...

Wire them to the stereo output jack, go into a stereo to mono pedal that has gain.

An onboard buffer with 2 channels and gain.

An onboard buffer just for the SGD-SW4 with gain. How would they interact if only one has a buffer?

Any suggestions on how to go with this? Any specific models of pedals, buffers, etc?

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    How do you have the ND3 wired? If series, it will be twice as loud as the SW so wire in in parallel.

Barring that, sell them to me :)
    Just curious, what size are they?

3. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    They are the USA Thunderbird pickup style.

I forget which way the ND3 is wired, but I went with the recommendation on the paper. So a possible solution could be a series/parallel/single switch on the ND3?

4. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    If they're the same size, try switching their positions.

5. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    Because of the wiring they fit in one location. They sound great individually, just not usuable on stage because of the volume difference no matter the heights of the pickups.

6. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yeah definitely give that a try. That way you can switch and hear instant results.

I've done this before...if you don't want to drill a hole for the switch but want to keep the switch just leave it in the cavity. That way you can still switch between the 3 if you want without having to re-wire. Can't do it instantly of course, but it's normally a 'set it and leave it' once you've found what you like.

7. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    +1!

8. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    For what it's worth, I just finished a build in which I'm using an SGD SW4 and a Duncan SSB together. They're both bridge model pickups. I put the SGD in the neck position and it's output is on par with the Duncan at the bridge. It sounds way better than the Duncan too!

Bottom line: moving the SW4 to the neck position is a perfectly viable option.

9. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    Not a viable solution for me, though. The wiring is very tight. The Neck model has it coming out of the corner to go through the hole there and the bridge one from the side. Very little wiggle room. *or vice versa, I forget*